Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    jrebel, Sure glad you won that book, Saved me a whole lot of writing. Last several days, have been reading just Oklahoma Stories. Lots of Caves, Gold, You will love the History behind these stories as well. The Counties you mention are Loaded.
    Perhaps you can send me a gold coin, should the weight of it all be too much for you.
    Good Luck FREIND. That is what I tell my friends when they play the Lottery, "Good Luck, FREIND"
    I appreciate you reading up on this area. WHEN I find the gold coins, I will be sure and send one to you because I am sure if I find them, there will be many. LOL Well, one never knows. Without our dreams, we fade away!
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    I was born and raised in southeastern Arkansas and my dad had a farm in Winchester. He had what he called an Indian dump on his farm near the shop. The creek near the shop was swarming with thousands of arrowheads, but most of them had the tip snapped off or had a large crack or flaw in the stone. My dad believed that is where the natives replaced and/or repaired their arrows after a hunt or fight.

He was a rice farmer that had to routinely roust out beavers. He would find the greatest things inside the beaver dam like stones used for grinding meal or grain and pieces of pottery. Beavers also apparently have an affinity for the glass thingies that used to sit on top of telephone poles. He found dozens of those.

I have really enjoyed this thread.
    Hi there, haven't heard from you for a bit. Was hoping to see more from you, photos, stories, etc. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Well, there is a big snow storm hitting up this way today, so I googled a satellite image of the area along that river. Most of it is highly developed with a marina, a stone loading dock for large ships that haul on the lakes, and even a rail road that goes right next to the west bank of the river. Right at about the two mile mark on the river, there is a small island that is quite interesting. It would have surely been an eye catching landmark if ever there was one back in the days of the supposed events. It is part of a Marina now. I'm still going to check it out later this year, but digging 3 foot holes might be unlikely!
    RiverRat1 Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2008, 05:32 PM
    [QUOTE=oneguyinohio]
    In 1862, 3 robbers made off with(at that time) $50,000 in gold, A fight over the division, left 2 dead, the survivorburried the ingots near the west bank of theGrand River, about 1 or 2 milesSouth of Lake erieAbout 3 foot deep, 20 or 30 paces NW of a large Oak tree, near the rivers West Bank.
    QUOTE]

This sounds very much like the old story that I was mentioning earlier. Next time I get a day off when it is warm, along that river, I want to take a little walk...
    Hello,

I stumbled on this sight doing more research on Girty's Island. I have been on the Island several times, but not yet have found that piece from the past I am desperately searching for. I know Simon Girty hid there, George Girty had a trading post. But there were other structures on the island. So far, my research has told me that there was also a victoria amusement park that people were ferried to the island by a sternwheel steam boat named the Pastime in the early 1900's. I also have heard there was an early dance hall there. Does anyone have any additional information on the Island? I have found the location of an old foundation and I am trying to find which structure it belongs to.
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 06:13 PM
    [QUOTE=RiverRat1]
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguyinohio

Hello,

I stumbled on this sight doing more research on Girty's Island. I have been on the Island several times, but not yet have found that piece from the past I am desperately searching for. I know Simon Girty hid there, George Girty had a trading post. but there were other structures on the island. So far, my research has told me that there was also a victoria amusement park that people were ferried to the island by a sternwheel steam boat named the Pastime in the early 1900's. I also have heard there was an early dance hall there. Does anyone have any additional information on the Island? I have found the location of an old foundation and I am trying to find which structure it belongs to.

Have you been to the historical society or library to see if they have any information. I have not done any research on structures there, but I do have a couple of acquaintances who are in their 90's from the Painesville area. I can try to contact them this week.

I'd also like to hear more about your search, and anything you might share. Is the area open for visitors, along both sides of the river? Hope to hear from you soon.
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 06:54 PM
    [QUOTE=RiverRat1]

Hello,

I stumbled on this sight doing more research on Girty's Island. I have been on the Island several times, but not yet have found that piece from the past I am desperately searching for. I know Simon Girty hid there, George Girty had a trading post. but there were other structures on the island. So far, my research has told me that there was also a victoria amusement park that people were ferried to the island by a sternwheel steam boat named the Pastime in the early 1900's. I also have heard there was an early dance hall there. Does anyone have any additional information on the Island? I have found the location of an old foundation and I am trying to find which structure it belongs to.
    Hi there,
    Glad you stumbled across the site and this thread! It has been interesting for all of us. Welcome aboard! :p
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 08:22 PM
    Oops, I got my islands mixed up. I was thinking of a Ram's Island near Painesville, but for Girty's Island, my grandmother was actually from the Florida Ohio area.

I wonder if you've had an opportunity to meet with
    The City of Defiance, City Historian Randy Buchman?

I know he is EXTREMELY knowledgeable about the area and would highly suggest contacting him.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2008, 06:59 AM
    In the 1780's Simon Girty and his brother had a Trading Post in the bend of the Maumee
    River on Highway 24, about 7 miles from Defiance State Park, on Girty's Island.
    Outlaw Simon Girty had a cabin near Fort Miami and robbed pioneers and helped the Indians(not the ones at your local MiniMart) fight colonist During the Indian War of 1790-
    1796, using Fort Miami for protection. He ammassed a large store of coins and other valuables which he buried in various caches around the fort. Girty went to Canada in 1800 and was never allowed to reenter the U.S. and his plundered treasure was never recovered.
    Fort Miami, AKA Fort Campbell, founded by the French in 1748 on the site of a Fur Trading post and stockade. The Fort was taken over by the British from 1763-1812.
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 12:51 AM
    jrebel, Hope all is well. I was born in North East Oklahoma. A lot of burried gold in your area. I would get volume 8 of the atlasses:
    treasure atlas, Maps, Atlases, Globes, Nonfiction Books items on eBay.com

Can you and oneguyfromohio provide County you want info, looked for river emptying into Erie, many, many stories in both of your areas.

Something you could do for fun? is goto geocashing.com, register, then click "hide or seek treasure". click "seek", enter your zip code, and it will list things hid in your area. You will be given GPS coordinates, and a clue that needs to be decyphered, Easy to decypher with the conversion also on page, kids can do it. You are suppose to look with your GPS. I have been a little lazy, and will copy and paste coordinates to Google Earth. In the US, the coordinates will be North lattitudes and West Longitudes, example, I live near N25.000.000, W 80.000.000. So After I copy and paste to google earth, I delete the N and the W, and add a - to west longitudes. Example for me, it would be 25.000.000, -80.000.000, then goto that coordinate, and zoom in. Lazy way to look for the treasure with no GPS.
    Will dig up more info. So many stories, so little time. Take Care
    Ok, I know what my longitude and latitude is of my home. I don't quite understand about deleting the N. and W. and add a - to west longitude. When you have time, sure would appreciate just a bit more instruction. Thanks much. Also I went to Google Earth and saw there was a free one and two paid ones. I was a bit confused where to go on that site. As I said, I get a little lost sometimes with directions. :confused:
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2008, 08:10 AM
    Go to Google Earth,

Google Earth
    Top right corner, click "Free Download", They don't care if you buy or not.
    This is a must have for anyone, No Spam, JunkMail, Spyware, very safe. Excellent.
    After you have downloaded it, copy and paste this coordinate to the search box, then click fly to.
    N 35° 47.618 W 095° 14.843 This should be near you.
    Went to Google a minute ago, and you can leave the N and the W, and not add the minus, that is another program.(Ignore earlier mention of deleting N+W, and adding -)Either will work.
    Once you are there, you can click and drag the earths surface to area you want to zoom in on, You can rotate the earth, and tilt your view. In tools there is a ruler. You can measure between 2 points. Once you find your house. You can click on the "Push Pin", mark your location an call it "Home" if you want. Any other areas of interest, you can mark with a pin. When you have several locations, you can do like a tour, will go from place to place locations on your list.
    You may want to uncheck some or all of the layers to get an idea of what's helpful. Roads, Boundries, schools, etc. Some can block a clear view.
    Also this may help get GPS cordinates to an address: TerraServer-USA . Have fun, Good Luck
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Go to Google Earth,

Google Earth
    Top right corner, click "Free Download", They don't care if you buy or not.
    This is a must have for anyone, No Spam, JunkMail, Spyware, very safe. Excellent.
    After you have downloaded it, copy and paste this coordinate to the search box, then click fly to.
    N 35° 47.618 W 095° 14.843 This should be near you.
    Went to google a minute ago, and you can leave the N and the W, and not add the minus, that is another program.(Ignore earlier mention of deleting N+W, and adding -)Either will work.
    Once you are there, you can click and drag the earths surface to area you want to zoom in on, You can rotate the earth, and tilt your view. In tools there is a ruler. you can measure between 2 points. Once you find your house. You can click on the "Push Pin", mark your location an call it "Home" if you want. any other areas of interest, you can mark with a pin. When you have several locations, you can do like a tour, will go from place to place locations on your list.
    You may want to uncheck some or all of the layers to get an idea of whats helpful. Roads, Boundries, schools, etc. Some can block a clear view.
    Also this may help get GPS cordinates to an address: TerraServer-USA . Have fun, Good Luck
    Thank you for the instructions. Much appreciated. Don't know how long it will be before I get my book I ordered but anxious to see what stories are in there about this area. Thanks again.
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2008, 09:36 AM
    Let us know if Goole Earth works for you, after messing with for a while.
    What is your county? I will give you a couple of stories to hold you over, until you get your book.
    Google Earth is handy when a story tells of robbers crossing a river from a known point,
    Up to where the valley splits like a "Y", and take that left fork to a box canyon for 2 miles, and looking to the north you can see Mount something? Once you get the book, search a couple like that, Very Interesting. Also great for finding Trails, Ponds,.
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 09:46 AM
    You just read my mind Strat!! You have been so good shaing information, I didn't want to impose and ask but am dying to know a little bit regarding stories in my area.

Muskogee County
    Haskell County

One connects to the other but Muskogee County is the county in which I live.
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2008, 11:07 AM
    Muskogee:
    A wealthy Cherokee Indian Settled in Webber falls after the "Trail of Tears" in 1838 and built a Mansion on the banks of the Arkansas River. When the Civil War erupted, he buried his accumuliated gold on his property, when he refused to tell of the location The Yankees burned his Mansion to the ground.
    Also, in 1838, a Cherokee Indian Named Big Head settled at Younger's Bend, on the banks of the Canadian River near Briartown,18 Miles due east of Eufaula, he reportedly buried $10,000 in gold coins before his death, then around 1880, tHE outlaw queen Belle Starr Purchased the Old Hannel Farm and moved into the Big Head Cabin, and searched for 10 years before her death. She is said to hide some of her own loot, as well as other bandits that used her place a refuge.
    In Haskill, There was a Trading Post called "Canadian Shoals" on the bank of the Arkansas River, near the Junction with the Canadian River. When Civil war broke out, the Doctor that ran the place Buried $15-20,000 near his home and fled, Indians knowing of the gold followed him, and left, planning to come back, he died before that happened.
    Take Care
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Muskogee:
    A wealthy Cherokee Indian Settled in Webber falls after the "Trail of Tears" in 1838 and built a Mansion on the banks of the Arkansas River. When the Civil War erupted, he burried his accumuliated gold on his property, when he refused to tell of the location The Yankees burned his Mansion to the ground.
    Also, in 1838, a Cherokee Indian Named Big Head settled at Younger's Bend, on the banks of the Canadian River near Briartown,18 Miles due east of Eufaula, he reportedly burried $10,000 in gold coins before his death, then around 1880, tHE outlaw queen Belle Starr Purchased the Old Hannel Farm and moved into the Big Head Cabin, and searched for 10 years before her death. She is said to hide some of her own loot, as well as other bandits that used her place a refuge.
    In Haskill, There was a Trading Post called "Canadian Shoals" on the bank of the Arkansas River, near the Junction with the Canadian River. When Civil war broke out, the Doctor that ran the place Burried $15-20,000 near his home and fled, Indians knowing of the gold followed him, and left, planning to come back, he died before that happened.
    Take Care
    Thank you much as onward we go!! :p
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2008, 09:39 PM
    Just wanted to post an excited little update to the family genealogy stuff I've been doing...

I found out that one of the ancestors I've been doing research on, was born in the same place (castle) as William the Conqueror... he was evidently a nephew... also another Lady Jane Sefton in the same family was also descended from William the Conqueror... There are castles out there that still exist where my ancestors were born almost a thousand years ago!! AMAZING STUFF
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2008, 10:20 PM
    Just wanted to post an excited little update to the family geneology stuff I've been doing...

I found out that one of the ancestors I've been doing research on, was born in the same place (castle) as William the Conqueror... he was evidently a nephew... also another Lady Jane Sefton in the same family was also descended from William the Conqueror... There are castles out there that still exist where my ancestors were born almost a thousand years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AMAZING STUFF
    How exciting!! Just my luck I will be related to Attila the Hun. LOL How did you come across this information, books, computer, ancestry studies on line? Honestly, that is exciting and fun that you shared with us. I love it.
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2008, 10:22 PM
    My book I ordered about this area is in the mail. Not sure what day I will receive it but if it has some dynamite info on my area, I will be sure and share it. :)
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2008, 10:33 PM
    I found one reference to where my ancestor was born, and that he came to England with William the Conqueror. My ancestor was referred to as William de Fallaise. So I got on line trying to figure out where Fallaise was... found out that it was Normandy France. I also looked up William the Conqueror and found that he was from the same place.

At first I thought it might be the same person since they were both Williams, and that the part of the name "the Conqueror" was changed after the fact, but with a little digging I found reference that William the Conqueror had a brother Walter, who had two boys (William the Conqueror's nephews) who went to England to get lands... Further reading showed that William the Conqueror did take away from the English nobility and awarded lands to his people as a way to ensure support... if they didn't support him, then they risked losing their holdings... so it all fits together.
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2008, 12:39 AM
    I just received the book I ordered today! It has taken me a little while to figure out how to navigate through it to find certain items of interest. Has a lot of information. Muskogee has a lot of references in the book. The other counties close around are full of information and so many of them are located on the river banks. My dad use to tell me about "noodling" fish. He never quite got into it but his friends did. What a find, to reach back, thinking you were getting a huge catfish and pull out gold. Well, I am not brave enough to "noodle" for turtles, fish or any such thing. I do enjoy fishing but after getting bitten by a water moccasin a few years ago in the late winter, early spring, I am a bit more skittish about where I walk! :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Operation Arrowhead Ripper [ 9 Answers ]

A major battle is taking place in Baquba ,a city in Baghdad's northern "suburbs" . Multi-National Force - Iraq - Task Force Lightning strikes al-Qaeda {Operation Arrowhead Ripper } The NY Slimes reported that 2000 troops are involved .They are wrong . There are no fewer than 10,000 US...

She is 12, he is 15(?) and are active... [ 1 Answers ]

While throwing away my "junk mail" yesterday I stood in front of the dumpster and heard some noise behind it. I went about my business as if not noticed. They realized they were caught and began to cloth them self's. I called my mgr. of the apts. And said what I believe to be the actions of the...

Active x [ 3 Answers ]

My friend is having trouble getting into certain sites--even becoming a member of Yahoo. I couldn't log into Yahoo on his computer with my ID and password. What is the problem with his computer? Does the following message that popped up on his computer have anything to do with the problem? He...

View more questions Search