Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gaylord12345678 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2013, 03:14 PM
    My right ear is totally clogged and I can't get it to clear up. Thanks for the suggestions
    theycallmemom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2013, 02:51 PM
    I have allergies, and have had a bit of a cough and stuffy nose for about 2 weeks. 4 days ago while I was cleaning I stood up and my hearing was muffled and I can feel pressure. I have NEVER had a problem with my ears. I have tried decongestants and zyrtec, afrin and nasonex. Once my sinus are clear I still have horrible muffled hearing ( now spreading to the right side). I don't have insurance and was hoping someone might be able to help.
    bf6067 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2013, 07:07 AM
    Some background info.I have been having a lot of nasal problems which I suspect are either allergies or sinus issues. I went to an ear, nose and throat doctor who came up empty. Of course I could not and still can not get any one to check if I have an allergy to my meds or anything in my meds.

August 2011 I was in bad shape and my ears were clogged. I decided to go to my family doctor who indicated there were signs of a virus in the back of my throat which would irritate and create pressure in my ears. I was taking Motrin which I was told was the best and only thing to do. It did clear up in a day or two.

But ever since I keep having this re-occuring experience. The moment I even slightly think it is happening, I now pop a Motrin. About a year ago I started to notice my one ear would clog up while in the shower. Not all the time but every once in a while. I again discovered by taking a Motrin, it didn't clog. When it did clog usually upon stepping out of the shower it would open up,sometimes wait until I use Q-Tips to clean my ear and once waited until I was part way to work.

Last Saturday, my left ear clogged up but this time remained clogged. Not even Motrin was opening it up. A couple days earlier, I was hearing complaints that people were having a bad sinus day and I wondered if this time it skipped my sinuses and went straight to my ears. I then started to take sinus pills. Saturday-Sunday-Monday_Tuesday clogged. My wife's cousin told her she used something over the counter to clean out wax where you put this stuff in your ear, leave it for four days and it really works. So Wednesday morning, discovering we already had the remover, I put a few drops in my ear and left it for 2.5 hours. That day my hearing was even worse.

I thought I was wrong and it had to be an infection so round the clock except when sleeping I kept alternating between Motrin, a sinus pill, Tylenol, a different sinus pill, Aspirin, yet a different sinus pill etc and stayed clear of the wax cleaner.

Now Thursday, I was going out of my mind. I kept thinking something was wrong with the wax cleaner. The instructions say put it in for a few minutes not really specifying how many or what is the max. I started to think that I melted the wax but by leaving it in so long, it re-hardened so anxious, I went home to try it again.Sadly, not being able to hear right, my judgement was clouded and while backing in to my garage, I broke my side view mirror.

I got inside the house, angry beyond words and decided to try and use the cleaner again. I put a few drops in my ear and watched the clock. After about 5 minutes, crackling was dying down, I went in to the bathroom and flushed my ear. To my shock, I could hear again.

I am not blaming anyone for my stupidity but I am a bit unhappy that the product's instructions did not specify a time range or at least post the message not to exceed so many minutes. And I think my wife's cousin just remembered the usage a little bit wrong. She was mostly correct.

Yes, to those thinking it, I was a fool. To anyone using it, make sure you don't leave the cleaner in your ear more than about 5-10 minutes. The wax will reharden and it will make your hearing worse.
    toolchick1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2013, 02:10 PM
    I've been having this muffled sound in my ear for a few weeks and thought it was just stopped up or swollen from allergies. I probably clean my ears too much. I think some of the wax is necessary. I'm also guilty of using Qtips but I'm extremely careful. I know that you're never supposed to use them but I don't feel like my ears are clean w/o them. I'm a very healthy, slim 58 year old female and just started thinking maybe it's just hearing loss. I've never had anything like this before. In fact, I'm not on any medication. My blood pressure is good, I don't have diabetes and I stay active. I hesitate to go to the Dr. because of no insurance. As I was reading all of these questions and answers, it made me sad to see how many of us can't afford to see a Dr. I think this is the most awesome country in the world but how is it that a 14 year old boy has to get online and inquire about problems with his ears. I don't know his circumstances but by reading these questions, it seems sad that there are so many of us that have to think we're seriously ill before we can financially justify a Dr.'s visit. I just find that very disturbing and felt the need to vent.
    earme Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2013, 05:05 PM
    Tankgurl, I've been sent to an ENT for the same thing. I started with laryngitis and what was thought to be an upper respitory infection. On antibiodics which seems to have taken care of the laryngitis (although my throat is still a little sore) and then ear drops for the clogged ear which did nothing, so then predizone... still nothing. ENT sent me for blood work and an MRI, which was just done today... waiting for results
    doctor101 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2013, 08:06 AM
    Hi- I sure know what you are feeling. I currently have swimmers ear so I have pain drainage and swelling. But I don't think you have it. My doctor gave me a special ear deops for clogging you should really go tp the doctor!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Muffled hearing [ 4 Answers ]

Hello and thank you in advance to any help, 2 weeks ago I woke up with muffled hearing. I took some Sudafed and cleaned my ears with Similsan ear cleaning drops. The problem got better but then came back. I saw a doctor. She checked my ears. No wax and my inner ear color was good so likely...

Feeling a little left out [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I don't know why this bothers me, or if it truly is rude. I think I'm probably being overly sensitive, but this hurt slightly. Here goes. I have a wonderful friend. We have friendship times that we get together, but she does not introduce me to her other friends. Says that she prefers...

Muffled hearing [ 3 Answers ]

Yesterday, on 05/03/07, around 2:30p.m. I was shooting guns with a friend of mine when at some point I removed my ear muffs to do something, and my friend not knowing I did so fired off one right after another 3 or 4 rounds about a foot away from my right side. But just before he started to shoot I...

Feeling Left behind, where do I fit in to his recovery? [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancé just moved into a sober living house with 4 other recovering men for six months(minimum), and my problem is I'm not sure what role he can/should play in my and our daughter's life now. We are OK talking on the phone most days, going to therapy, and for the most part OK when we spend...

View more questions Search