Ask
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Dec 1, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Gay Marriage
    Are you for or against Gay Marriage?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 1, 2007, 05:27 PM
    I've chewed around on this question. At this moment in time, I am all for gay partners having some kind of legal contract for property rights and for inheritance and for other rights. For instance, my lesbian sil had to adopt a newborn as a single mom since she and her partner are not considered a legal couple.

Marriage is a religious union, and I don't think the religious part of being a legal couple concerns that many gay partners. Of course, there could be some kind of religious dedication ceremony written that might help gay couples take their union even more seriously.

As far as gay unions or marriage destroying the institution of marriage, that's horse feathers. The straights are and have been doing a nice job of that all by themselves.
    Spiked Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Nope.
    Not a bit.
    People of the same gender falling in love is just as pheasable as two people of the opposite gender falling in love. And it is awful to deprive homosexuals of marriage.

That help?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 05:29 PM
    I really do not care - it is their personal business, not mine. I would not want someone sticking their nose into my relationships.

Dec 1, 2007, 05:32 PM
    I just wanted to here some opinions from people. In the province I live in it is still illegal, but I'm am for it. I've just herd a lot about it the last few days from watching USA news on TV since it is a major political thing with the election going on down there.
    Spiked Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 05:35 PM
    Well, I'm from the UK.

It's possible for gays to have 'Civil Partnerships' over here.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Hello:

I think the government ought to get OUT of the marriage business. Why is it their business WHO we marry??

excon
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Dec 1, 2007, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    I've chewed around on this question. At this moment in time, I am all for gay partners having some kind of legal contract for property rights and for inheritance and for other rights. For instance, my lesbian sil had to adopt a newborn as a single mom since she and her partner are not considered a legal couple.

Marriage is a religious union, and I don't think the religious part of being a legal couple concerns that many gay partners. Of course, there could be some kind of religious dedication ceremony written that might help gay couples take their union even more seriously.

As far as gay unions or marriage destroying the institution of marriage, that's horse feathers. The straights are and have been doing a nice job of that all by themselves.

Wondergirl said it better than I can.
    I have a gay son who I have had this discussion with and it is one that I try to steer clear of with him because we don't have the same opinion. My son told me about a story of two men who had lived for many years as a couple sharing all the bills and paying for a house together. When one of the men died it was left in his will that everything go to his partner. The family of the deceased fought it and won. Because there was no legal marriage everything went to the family including the house that both men paid for together. This poor guy not only lost his mate he lost the home he paid for. What the hell good is a will? I am very torn on the subject of gay marriage. On one hand I believe there should be something that will make a gay couples union as legal as a straight couple, but on the other hand I'm not sure it should be called a marriage. That is where my son and I disagree. As he says people get married everyday who doesn't have a religious bone in their body, yet they can do it so why should it matter if they are gay? I guess he is right but... I just don’t know.

Dec 1, 2007, 06:05 PM
    That is a very sad story. I feel very bad for him, that's awful!
    I totally agree with you.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 06:05 PM
    I'm against it.

Dec 1, 2007, 06:09 PM
    Why?
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 07:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mjl
    mjl disagrees: They aren't telling us who to marry.
    Hello again, mjl:

Telling you who you CAN'T marry is the same thing as telling you who you can.

excon

Dec 1, 2007, 08:13 PM
    You are very passionate about this topic.
    You are obiously for gay marriage, and so am I. Why so pushy?
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Dec 1, 2007, 08:25 PM
    The day a gay person chooses to be gay is the day you chose to be straight. And on the news there were twins, one who was a normal every day boy. The other one, very femine, did his nails, like barbies, had a pink room, etc... I believe he is gay. So are you able to tell me a child of 6 chose to be gay? No. So everyone should be able to get married. Marriage is a close and intimate relationship, which gay people can have too
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 08:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mjl
    You are very passionate about this topic. Why so pushy?
    Hello again, mjl:

Chill out, Dude. What you see as passion and pushiness, I see as nothing more than a pleasant discussion.

Oh, I can get passionate and pushy, but this ain't it - not even close.

excon
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 10:42 PM
    Marriage is the union of one man and one women leave their parents to join together and become one being. It is a spiritual and physical union. The only one that fits together is women and man.

Now this is a very touchy debate, question? I am unsure of your intention of this.

You asked for opinions. I believe that Marriage is only for one male and one female joining together. Marriage is through God, Through the church. Not State, or country has no right to interefere with something that has been Church matter since the beginning.

Am I against it, Yes.

Am I against two same sex couples being together, No. That is their own personal choice that does not effect me. As far as trying to change the meaning of marriage and what it represents I do not think is right.
    angel0772001 Posts: 233, Reputation: 7

Dec 1, 2007, 11:03 PM
    I have nothing against gay people but I believe that a man and a woman were supposed to be joined not man and man or woman and woman. They just don't fit. If you know what I mean
    Stare At The Sun Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 11:49 PM
    I'm for gay marriage.
    Why shouldn't homosexuals have the same rites as heterosexuals?
    rob453 Posts: 34, Reputation: 2
    -

Dec 1, 2007, 11:49 PM
    I am for gay marriage, even though it is related to religion, because there are many kinds of religions in the world, and regarding the christian ones, there are some churches that support gay marriage.

However, I am not against civil unions. For me they can be used instead of marriage.

Besides I am from Eastern Europe. The attitute there toward homosexuality there is very hostile. The homosexuals there do not even have basic human rights ( like right for peaceful walk demonstration on streets) which is very sad.
    I come from Poland. I no longer live there, but I still get some news from there. Last year, polish watchdog of Children Rights investigated wheter Teletubbies promote homosexuality. The government made it up to distract people from their scandales and left business. This year governemtn got replaced with new, but is still against supporting gay/lesbian rights, even passing anti-discrimination laws. I am glad I live in the U.S, in the Chicago area, where attitute toward these people is more civilized.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2007, 11:55 PM
    I don't care either way. I don't feel it is my business what people do with their lives and who they want to be with. My husband and I are in love, so if two men or two women are in love just the same, why shouldn't they be able to get married? Of course, that's just my opinion. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

I don't know what to do about my marriage [ 5 Answers ]

Well a month ago I wrote on here about how I had a crush on my husband's best friend but that is fading away some. I still like him but I know we can't be together so there is no point. I have decided I need to put some energy into my marriage and tried to talk to my husband about our marriage. He...

Considering Marriage somewhat soon. [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, I know you guys/gals probably get this all the time, am I/We ready... I met my girlfriend on vacation a little over a year ago, and we talked several times week over the phone. ( I lived in another state) and I flew to see her once or twice a month at best. Well In May of last year we made...

Marriage [ 6 Answers ]

I found out soon after my husband and I had a baby that he was intimately talking with one of his ex's basically telling her that he wished she had his baby instead of me and also leading her to believe that he was going to leave me for her. He also had contacted another ex saying that he loved...

Marriage [ 5 Answers ]

My fiancé was put on probation almost 5 yrs ago. It was for a burglary that had taken place when he was 16. He is now 23 y/o and only 6 moths left on probation. We wanted to get married this winter, but his probation officer told us that she has to approve him to get married. I cannot find anything...

View more questions Search