Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CreativeNotHandy Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 04:35 PM
    Garden Hose Left Hooked Up Outside in Freezing Weather
    I saw today that our garden hose was hooked up to the outdoor faucet even though there is several inches of snow on the ground. So I thought I better unhook it.
    I had to run a quick errand so I asked my wife to look up a way to remove a frozen hose.

I came back and she had poured hot water over the faucet, removed the hose and turned on the faucet. This caused some water to leak into the house. :mad:

Does this mean that when she turned on the faucet the pressure caused the pipe to break and leak back in the house?

If so why did it stop leaking? It was probably only a 1/2 gallon or less of water that leaked.

So the leaking in the house has stopped, but is it going to resume when that outside faucet resumes? What do I have to do to fix it?

Please help if you have the knowledge.:confused: Let me know if pictures would help.

Thanks.
    plumberman Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Dec 1, 2007, 05:30 PM
    It was probably ice that leaked back in... add some pics so I can help you out...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 07:47 PM
    You may have a damaged frost proof faucet. They have a long stem that shuts the water off inside. Then all the water between the valve seat and outlet drains out. With the hose left on, the pipe between the seat and outlet is still full of water and can freeze and crack. If you turn the water on and it leaks again, that is the problem. It is OK as long as you leave the water off. You can put off fixing it until spring if you don't use it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Hose Leaking, removed hose pipe drips [ 5 Answers ]

Previously it was leaking at the top where shower hose goes onto the threads of the pipe at top, I wrapped the threads with teflon tape so that now that part is dry, no leaking, but the hose continues to leak at the bottom (hand held piece). I totally unscrewed the shower hose from the pipe and see...

TV has no sound after I hooked up a DVD player to it. [ 1 Answers ]

I tried to hook up a DVD player to my Zenith TV and it didn't work. Now my TV has no sound. I moved the interior and exterior switch on the back of the TV and that didn't work. Any suggestions?

Is it possible to quit chewing Tobacco once you get hooked? How [ 1 Answers ]

My son says once you start you are hooked for life. Is this true ? And if not what is the best way to quit?

Dishwasher hooked up illegal how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

Recently my sink started to drain very slowly... up to 20 minutes for the sink to let out. Then I noticed that water was backing up into my dishwasher and wouldn't drain out So I called a plumber he came and snaked the kitchen drain. He asked how the dishwasher was hooked up, because he didn't...

View more questions Search