Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eduardo Dominguez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Pitbull (Renter Liability Insurance)
    I am a home renter living in Ft Lauderdale, FL. Does anybody knows if it's possible to get a dog liability insurance? My only problem is the dog is a pitbull.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 1, 2007, 03:44 PM
    Are you talking about insurance if he bites someone or insurance if he damages the rental property?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2007, 04:44 PM
    It doesn't really matter what kind of insurance you are talking about. Almost all insurance companies will not give you any kind of liability insurance if you own a Pitbull. End of story. I am surprised that you have a landlord willing to rent to you. Most won't, specifically because they can lose the liability insurance on their property. The best thing that you can do for yourself is to flip through your regional yellow pages, look under Insurance, and start calling companies. You might luck out and find one that will be willing to cover you.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 05:40 PM
    I left a copy of the original in dogs at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/p...ce-158121.html I am afraid this is a tough question and input from both those that know dogs, and those that know insurance may be helpful to the OP.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2007, 09:34 AM
    Eduardo this site may be of help.Homeowners' Insurance Resource Center
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 3, 2007, 01:59 PM
    Some cities, most landlords will require insurance. If there is no insurance and something happens, not matter if it is a poodle or collie or a pit, you are responsible. So if you can not get your check book out and write a check for property damage, damage to other pets,or injury to another person, you should have insurance.
    isabelgopo Posts: 58, Reputation: 7

Mar 17, 2008, 03:46 PM
    I live in Virginia and I have my pit insured with USAA , liability insurance, 22 dollars a month. Includes house liability and pit bull liability. Without it its almost impossible to rent a place in this state.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2008, 02:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo Dominguez
    I am a home renter living in Ft Lauderdale, FL. Does anybody knows if it's possible to get a dog liability insurance? My only problem is the dog is a pitbull.

Call around and ask if they will insure a pitbull.

I had to change companies in order to obtain homeowners with a Rottweiler - it's a breed "banned" by my insurance company. It's called breed discrimination and it's alive and well.

I'm sure you know Dade County has already banned pits and other counties are trying to follow their lead.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2008, 04:10 PM
    Be sure to keep your dog in the house as much as possible as having lived in Ft.L for 25 years I know that you will have a lot of neighbors in an uproar about your dog. There were almost monthly maulings of young children by these dogs back in the 80's and 90's in FTL. Be sure you have a nice fenced in yard also. Surprised anyone rented to you. Most landlords in FTL don't want kids or dogs regardless of what type of breed. Consider yourself blessed that you have a landlord willing to rent to you.
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2008, 05:09 AM
    isabelgopo agrees: wait, what?? Would you have a hard time renting an apartment in Florida if you have children?

If there was a possibility they would bite a neighbor or if they were breed banned then, yes, the answer is mostly definitely "yes."

I'm not saying I agree with the rules; I'm only "reporting" them.
    Guest Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 4, 2008, 03:22 PM
    Apparently State Farm and USAA do not ask for breed of dog just if there has ever been a bite/attack.
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Apparently State Farm and USAA do not ask for breed of dog just if there has ever been a bite/attack.

Right, they go on a case-to-case basis. I also didn't realize that it is illegal for insurance companies in Pennsylvania and Michigan to blacklist breeds.
    Guest Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 5, 2008, 10:45 AM
    Just say you got the dog from the spca and they said it was a mix.. and that's all you know
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2008, 02:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    just say you got the dog from the spca and they said it was a mix.. and thats all you know

Sure, as long as it doesn't have papers, isn't registered. If it IS papered/registered and you lie to your insurance company you will have no coverage at all.

This is generally bad advice - same with people who lie about their mileage to get a less expensive auto insurance rate, tell the company no one underage drives the car. Works fine until you're in an accident and the insurance company decides to take a stand.
    j81153m Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2012, 07:47 PM
    ENHORN INSURANCE "WILL"cover pitbulls!

There are several insurance companies that insure pitbulls, Nationwide and Farmers, for example.

Your blatant comment about NO insurance company will cover pitbulls are a thing of the past.
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2012, 07:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by j81153m View Post
    ENHORN INSURANCE "WILL"cover pitbulls!.

There are several insurance companies that insure pitbulls, Nationwide and Farmers, for example.

Your blatant comment about NO insurance company will cover pitbulls are a thing of the past.

Enhorn is an Agency, not an insurance company. Maybe the OP doesn't live in the area where Enhorn is licensed?

This was posted in 2008 - maybe things have changed somewhat in the four ensuing years?

And to correct your "blatant" statement - Nationwide and Farmers do NOT insure pits in all areas of the US (I have no idea where you are). These companies and others are certain requirements, one of which very often (and I don't know the current "rules") socialization classes and a home visit.

I'm a liability investigator. It is neither easy nor inexpensive to insure certain breeds. I have a GSD and a Rott - I had to jump through hoops to get GOOD insurance. If you want your homeowners through some company which is going to deny, it's possible. If you want to be covered in the event of any injury it's far more difficult.

Or do you work for the agency and this is a "blatant" plug?
    j81153m Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2012, 04:56 AM
    Here is a link to pitbull insurance: http://www.chaseagency.com/AnimalLiability.asp

Your welcome!
    Cableguy727 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2012, 06:48 AM
    I also have a Pit. There are many insurance co. that will insurance you. It's less then you would think. Do a search on line or you can view this link. http://www.pbrc.net/losinghome.html. Not being able to get insurance is bull. The problem in this case, is finding a land lord that will let you move in with one if you don't own your home. It's a shame, mine will lick the skin off you before she would ever bite. Just an over grown want to be lap dog.
    Cableguy727 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2012, 06:51 AM
    That's who I have mine with. They are also Pit owners and just great people to deal with, Smitty
    Quote Originally Posted by j81153m View Post
    ENHORN INSURANCE "WILL"cover pitbulls!.

Uber Member

Aug 19, 2012, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cableguy727 View Post
    Thats who I have mine with. They are also Pit owners and just great people to deal with, Smitty

It's Einhorn, not Enhorn, and it's an agency, not a company. Einhorn assists in placing homeowners who own banned (or "dangerous") breed dogs with a company but Einhorn does not write the policy.

There's a difference.

Einhorn places homeowners in California, not in other States.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Homeowner Liability Insurance [ 3 Answers ]

I own a rental condo on the 9th floor in an 11 story poured in place concrete and steel building. I carry a liability insurance policy on this property. If there is water damage to a unit below me (hot water heater valve malfunction causing flooding) will this liability policy cover the damage to...

Pitbull dogs [ 2 Answers ]

How many bloodline traits are their for pittbulls? How many different types of pittbulls are there?

Bond and liability insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just started a small business in cleaning. Do I need general liability insurance or business insurance and bond in the same time?thanks

My beloved Pitbull - Liability Insurance [ 10 Answers ]

My pit bull Harley is the best dog I have ever had! With this pit bull ban in ontario, I am finding it very difficult to find a insurance company for the million dollar liabilty insurance that is required. However, I recently heard through a friend that your dog is automatically covered under...

Pitbull and child [ 18 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old pittbull, who is very obedient and loves my two year old son. The problem is he's so hyper I'm afraid hell hurt him by accident by jumping around so much. What can I do to get him to calm down and not be so crazy?:)

View more questions Search