Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lostnotfound Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 12:15 PM
    One computer can see my router, one can not
    Hi, my intention is to connect comp1 to router via ethernet cable and comp2 via wireless, however comp2 can not see my router.

Equipment: comp1-XP Pro, comp2-XP Home, router-Belkin Wireless G (F5D7230-4), Vivanco WLAN USB (802.11 b/g), Virgin broadband cable

If I put the WLAN USB on comp2 it can not see my router, but can see other networks in the area (ssid's only)
    If I put the WLAN USB on comp1 it can see my router (and connect to internet)

Tried (and failed): moving router next to comp2
    Changing security settings (wpa, wep, none)
    Changing channel numbers inc. auto

In router setup instructions it say to disable firewall but I forgot to do this when testing WLAN USB on comp1 and it still worked fine. However I thought I ought to follow the instructions to the letter but comp2 will not let me switch off its firewall. By firewall I mean XP sp2 firewall both compters have no others.

Comp2 is second hand from office where it was part of a network

Before anyone suggests permantly swapping the computers I have good reasons for wanting comp1 to use ethernet cable and comp2 wireless
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 1, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Can it see the wireless at all ?
    Check your IP settings on Comp2.

Dec 1, 2007, 03:39 PM
    Hi Curlyben, first can I say (if it's not obvious) I'm fairly new to the internet etc, and so I'm not quite sure what you mean by "check your IP settings".
    When the WLAN USB is plugged into comp2 I get a symbol in the taskbar, I click on it and a window opens "Wireless network connection" it gives a list of networks it can see but my router isn't there. If I put the WLAN USB into comp1 the list does include my router and I can connect through it.
    BossMan

Dec 1, 2007, 03:44 PM
    OK thanks for responding.

Now this maybe a case of too many obstructions between the router and comp2 as the wireless seems to be working.

Is it possible for you to try the USB WiFi on an extension to try and reduce the amount of building in the way ?

Dec 1, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Hi, tried that, put the router next to comp2 and it still couldn't see it, and I then left the router next to comp2 and put the WLAN USB on to comp1 and it could see it so I don't think the walls/floor are causing problems
    BossMan

Dec 1, 2007, 04:01 PM
    Hmmm very odd.

Admittedly this is one of the reasons I don't like using USB for networking, but as it sees other networks there's obviously something else.

Is Comp2 fully patched and updated ?

Dec 1, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Not sure about updates, the comp belonged to a friend's company who closed an office. Comp sat about for several months, I mentioned my daughters comp had died and he offered me one. It would be possible to move comp2 two to the internet cionnection so I could temporarily connect through ethernet cable but that would be a lot of hassle, I was hoping I could just change some settings
    BossMan

Dec 1, 2007, 04:12 PM
    Well fire up Windows Updates for starters.
    Can you possible upgrade it to XP Pro ?

Dec 1, 2007, 04:20 PM
    First, just realized I haven't thanked you for trying to help, so thanks.
    Can't update unless I move comp1 to my flat (comp2=daughts comp which is in their flat, I live in flat below ex and kids), this would be awkward but if I have to then so be it. But it's too late tonight

Dec 1, 2007, 05:19 PM
    Been re-readimg posts and realized you suggested puing the usb on an extension, I have tried that using a 1 metre (3ft) USB extension, this increased the number of neighbours networks comp1 could see but still not my router.
    As for upgrading comp1 from XP home to pro, I would rather not give Bill Gates any more money not to mention all the stuff the girls already have on their machine
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 08:54 PM
    Can you do a couple of favors?

Go to the command prompt and type "ipconfig /renew"

Then "ipconfig /all" on both computers and post the results.

"clear" will erase the window.

In order to copy this information you need to right click on the bar at the top, select EDIT and then select MARK.

Then right-click, select EDIT and then SELECT ALL.

Then it the <Enter> key.

You can then use Control-V to paste the results.

If the copy/paste doesn't work, we might have to do some configuring. You might need to set Properties/Quick edit and check both boxes.

Dec 11, 2007, 08:08 AM
    Hi, first I'm sorry for disappearing, ended up in hospital (broken leg).
    Solved the problem by replacing USB dongle with a pci card, all working perfectly.
    Thank you to all who tried to help esp. Curlyben for the info about USB dongles being *&%@%$.
    Cheers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Router within a Router - Connection problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to set up a wireless network to be able to use my laptop, but am having problems getting everything working; The wireless is "Connected" yet I'm unable to access the internet, or ping the default gateway. The current setup consists of a Zyxel Prestige 643 (The "internet gateway", a...

Have router but computer tries to dial-up [ 1 Answers ]

Hay, my computer is a dell PC with a pentium 3 processor and xp. I'm a student andlive in a house where the router is upstairs and a I need connect my PC using my wireless card to the router upstairs. I've been able to get my card to find our houses server and establish a connection with the router...

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

View more questions Search