Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sidnal Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2007, 11:53 PM
    About online education, the specifics.
    So, I work offshore on a call-out basis, and have limited internet connectivity while I'm out. I'm very interested in beginning my secondary education (at the tender age of 37) through online courses. My biggest question is how does the actual transfer of data take place? While offshore, I have to pay for internet connectivity, and it's a slow connection on the best of days. Would I get discs containing the bulk of the material, or would it be more of a as-you-go scenario? When I try to get information from specific colleges, it seems that all I can do is fill out a form, to be contacted at a later time. I'm not too interested in getting annoying calls, or my inbox filled with solicitations; thus my question here.

Also, are there regular online meeting times, lectures to be downloaded, tests to be taken at a specific date? Or can I do this at my own pace/schedule?

I'd like to begin with general studies, and later work towards something more specific. Any recommendation on some colleges, as far as price, transferability, and quality of education goes?

Thanks in advance!
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2007, 12:20 AM
    I can only speak of a few courses that I have taken on line. I have seen them done both ways with most material being available on line to upload. The work then could be done off line and uploaded back on line once finished. The same for discussion groups in the classes. Disks can also be supplied for additional resources depending on the professors preferences.

The pace and timing of assignments and testing is also variable in each case. Some allow for your pace such as anytime this week, or due by a certain date. Others would be that when you complete it, you get the grade. I'm sure there are different policies from one school to another.

I would suggest that the college be accredited in what you take, and that the courses will transfer to other schools such as state universities etc. Check with other schools about their acceptance of various accreditations. Some accreditations mean little... such as fully accredited through the department of regional schools of on-line education or something such as fully accredited with foundation of international driving schools. In other words make sure that you know what the acrediting agency represents for you as far as if you could use the classes elsewhere at 4-year universities, or if it is only a fluffed up sales pitch for the school.

My experience is that prices are the same per credit hour as it would be to take coursed in the traditional manner. You might get you best buy to begin with through a community college associate's degree that could then be transferred to a 4 year program. Community colleges are usually cheaper per credit hour from my experience.

I personally do not know of any complete on-line programs, but I am sure they are out there for you.

Best Wishes in your efforts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free online education [ 4 Answers ]

Sir, Please help me to find for the courses which are available free of cost for studying them online. Thanks lokesh

Online Education [ 3 Answers ]

How and where do I get a free online degree in Theology?

1099 Tax specifics [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I am about to accept job on 1099. Expected early income would be about $90,000.00 I would like to know what percentage of tax will I pay in each categary. I am a resident of Illinois state. Example: State, Federal, Medicare, Social Security, etc. Please let me know asap. Thanks,

Online Education [ 3 Answers ]

I am concerned about the validity of Ashwood University. They claim to be an accredited online school, issuing life experience degrees. I can't find any information to verify that the are accredited by a legitimate organization. Please, if anyone has information about this online program, I'm...

View more questions Search