Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2007, 04:55 PM
    Switching from Wired to Wireless
    I have cable internet right now, I went on a few sites and tested my internet speed and got between 1520 and 2800 KBPS download speed, if I switch to a wireless home network will I maintain the same speed?

I really don't know a lot about wireless networking but I would buy the following wireless G router:

Dell : D-LINK NETWORKS WBR-2310 Wireless Rangebooster G Router : Wireless Routers : Home & Home Office

And these wireless cards for my 2 desktops:

Dell : D-LINK NETWORKS DWL-G520 AirPlus Xtreme G Wireless PCI Adapter : Adapters – Wireless : Home & Home Office

I know the 108 MBPS is the theoretical maximum but what would be the actual speed I would see? Most importantly are these 2 items compatible?

Thanks for any help on this one!
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Dec 3, 2007, 07:22 AM
    your wireless connection speed depends on many variables (distance, location of router/PCs; interference, wall material, etc, etc) - more often than not issues with wireless is connectivity NOT speed. Wireless is a "shared technology". That is, if you are connected wirelessly at 100Mbps (theoretical), 2 laptop with share this connection (50mbps x2)...

P2E
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Well at the moment we have 2 desktops, we're in an apartment and moving the wires is almost impossible without drilling through the walls. The distance wouldn't be more than 15 feet.

What I'm trying to get a feel for is whether or not the maximum theoretical speed of a wireless connection is the same as the theoretical maximum speed of a wired connection... I can't seem to find this online, but maybe I'm googling the wrong things.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Theoretical wired speeds are not more than 80% of the network speed. i.g. 10 mbps will have a limit of 8 mpbs.

A wired link will depend primarily on obstacles, signal strength and interference.
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Dec 11, 2007, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowtax4eva
    Well at the moment we have 2 desktops, we're in an apartment and moving the wires is almost impossible without drilling through the walls. The distance wouldnt be more than 15 feet.

What im trying to get a feel for is wether or not the maximum theoretical speed of a wireless connection is the same as the theoretical maximum speed of a wired connection... i can't seem to find this online, but maybe im googling the wrong things.
    LowTax, wired speeds - not internet speeds - is dependent on the ethernet to ethernet connection, which in your case is likely 100Mbps. Wireless speeds in an apartment bldg with other wireless units is a total crap shoot.

Basically, if you can get online with wireless, then great - your online. Due to (EMI/EFI) interference, don't be surprised when your wireless speeds a/o connectivity goes intermittent.

If ethernet is not an alternate option - consider powerline adapters - which run the data over the power lines. You got sockets? :D

P2E
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 11, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Your network connection is Ethernet (whether its wired or wireless). A wired connection will always be faster and more stable than wireless. The connection between you and the Internet is generally measured to your router not on your internal LAN.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weird Wireless Issue, laptop shuts down wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, here it goes. I am in the process of fixing a buddies computer. He has a dv8000 HP. When I got it, he said that it will not connect to the internet either through wireless or cat5. I brought it home, were have a wireless network and tried to connect. I get no connection and limited or no...

Add Wireless to Wired Network [ 7 Answers ]

Lots of Info, with a simple question. I have a cable modem connected (wired) to a 4 port router. That 4 port router (all wired) connects to my main computer, PS2, my Cisco router and phone for work (one connection), and a network switch in another room. The network switch (in living room)...

Moving from wired to wireless [ 5 Answers ]

I want to move PC upstairs but modem is downstairs what would be recommended at affordable price?

Wired or Wireless? [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently looking into a home security system and have had Adt, Brinks and Protection one out to my house. The question I have is should I go with wired or wireless? And which company? Any help you can give me in this matter would be greatly appreciated..

Windows XP, 2 NICs (1 wired, 1 wireless) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a weird setup of: --------- > > > Wireless > > >------Wired------- But whenever compB is connected to compC compB cannot access the internet. All computers are running Windows xp Pro. Any ideas how I let CompB and CompC access the internet at the same time? Bridging on CompB...

View more questions Search