Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catpaw00 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2007, 08:26 AM
    How to Garnish wages state to state
    I won a judgement against a person who lives in another state. How do you garnish wages if you live in Virginia and the other person lives in Maine.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 30, 2007, 08:57 AM
    You need to have a local sheriff or process server serve a garnishment order you obtain in your local court, on the employer. Note, if the employer has offices in many states you would probably need to serve the order on the main location where payroll is processed. If you can't find that you can serve the local branch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The right to garnish wages [ 6 Answers ]

I have a judgement against me from a previous landlord, when I was first contacted by the collections agency who now holds the account 8 months ago I responded with a willingness to work out a payment plan. I never heard back from the agency until today 8 months later and they are demanding that...

Can wife move out of state with child after divorce and residency in state [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I are living in Ohio, have been residents for 9 months and have a 14 month old child. If we divorce and she would get custody, could she ever move out of the state

PA State Tax - minimum wages earned before required to file [ 2 Answers ]

Hello my son received his W2 late - He earned $477 in 2006. Is he required to file a PA State tax form? I understand he is not required to file a federal form based on the wages earned. Thank you

2 states: Can I credit state tax of one state to other state [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 W-2. One from job in Mass. Mass state tax is withheld in that W-2. Then I moved to NC and got a new job in NC. NC state tax is withheld in this second jobs W-2. Both W-2 only have state tax withheld from their corresponding states. So can I credit taxes of one state to another and...

W2 State and City Wages Wrong - What do I do? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, I'm in a weird position. I have a W2 where the amounts shown in box 16 and 18, State and City Taxes respectively for New York State and New York City are not showing the right amounts. I can tell that the numbers are too low. I am a part resident in the state and city of New York - I moved here...

View more questions Search