Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2007, 06:38 AM
    CNN - YouTube Debate: The Gay General
    How is it that Americans in general do not seem to recognize the hypocrisy of the mainstream media?

They read a story of how biased the more conservative Fox News is - then spread those stories on forums such as these...

I wonder what the news would look like if Fox News, at a Democratic Debate, brought in a big wig McCain supporter to rant - like CNN did for the Clinton supporting Gay General?

Hmmm. I haven't heard a peep of complaint about that.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2007, 07:48 AM
    I think the problem may be that YouTube is used with more frequency by younger people whose political tendencies lean more to the left. Although I would hazard a guess there are enough people who are regular contributors that given the opportunity, would stick it to anyone when given the chance. I think the problem here is that the candidates actually agreed to this format in the first place! It is going to be very interesting to see the outcome of the Democratic one. I believe it is slated for January but I am not sure. I think we will see some crazy stuff there too. Maybe not as bad as the Republican one.

I do think in the future, no matter what party is in control, that will be the one that will be given the most hassle if this type of questioning is allowed to continue and not outright rejected by both parties. I guess only time will tell.;)
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2007, 03:42 AM
    The point I made on the Politics Board was that the YouTube format would've been better if CNN wasn't vetting the questions and filtering them through their own bias. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/politi...-157275-2.html

I like the idea of opposition posing the questions so long as everyone is up front about it. I have plenty of questions I'd like Evita Clinton to answer .

You don't have to concern yourself with a Fox News Democrat debate. The coward Dems have already vetoed that idea. In fact ,the press is finally catching on to the reality that Clinton is pretty much inaccessible.Even theWashinton Compost is writing about it. washingtonpost.com... something the right wing press discovered months ago. Presidential Candidates Take on The Media - HUMAN EVENTS

In fact I believe the Dems would like to end the debates entirely . They will not participate in the scheduled CBS debate. They claim they do not want to cross the writers union picket line. But that has not stopped them from appearing on the Sunday morning talk shows ;or in a controlled Q&A session with Katie Couric.Couric's 'Exclusive' with Hillary Clinton Avoids Tough Questions | NewsBusters.org
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    The point I made on the Politics Board was that the youtube format would've been better if CNN wasn't vetting the questions and filtering them through their own bias. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/politi...-157275-2.html
    Thanks Tom, I never saw the thread and will take a look at it.

Actually, when I answered this particular thread, I really couldn't answer Rick's question. I knew it was a rhetorical question but to state that I think the majority of Americans appear to gladly swallow whatever garbage is fed to them wouldn't have been very nice. ;)
    It is rather sad that people don't question the information that is given to them and choose to dig deeper before spreading a story. Then again, I believe supporters on both sides will spread whatever gossip they believe will do the most damage to their opponents. Whatever party the individual belongs to.

You don't have to concern yourself with a Fox News Democrat debate. The coward Dems have already vetoed that idea.
    I don't remember hearing about this. Is there a link you can post? I would like to read it.

In fact ,the press is finally catching on to the reality that Clinton is pretty much inaccessible.Even theWashinton Compost is writing about it. washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines ....something the right wing press discovered months ago. Presidential Candidates Take on The Media - HUMAN EVENTS
    Yes, I have been finding it quite purplexing how she has managed to get as far as she has in the polls with all her sidestepping and the way she flipflops on many issues. That is a head scratcher for me.

In fact I believe the Dems would like to end the debates entirely . They will not participate in the scheduled CBS debate. They claim they do not want to cross the writers union picket line. But that has not stopped them from appearing on the Sunday morning talk shows ;or in a controlled Q&A session with Katie Couric.Couric's 'Exclusive' with Hillary Clinton Avoids Tough Questions | NewsBusters.org
    I can't fathom why she even bothered to do the Couric interview. I do find the writers strike has created some major roadblocks across the board. The reasoning behind the non-participation is absurd. The newswriters aren't on strike. Why there isn't more of an uproar about this red herring is beyond me. Whether the Dems would like to end the debates entirely is really a non-issue. They can't. It will hurt their campaigns too much.

What I am curious about is something I posed in my other post. Knowing CNN's leanings, why would the Republican candidates agree to participate in the first place? Anyone have an idea?
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Never mind my question. You know, I completely forgot about the July debate on CNN with the Dems. That is how much of an effect that whole thing had on me. I remember thinking that entire debate was vapid and didn't get me any closer to understanding any of their platforms. I didn't come out preferring any candidate better than the other. So, Dems started this CNN ball rolling and the Republicans HAVE to participate? I really wonder why. I still don't think we have found the right scenario for debates in this country.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomder55
    You don't have to concern yourself with a Fox News Democrat debate. The coward Dems have already vetoed that idea.

I don't remember hearing about this. Is there a link you can post? I would like to read it.
    Actually Fox tried to set up a debate twice with the Democrats. The first one was scheduled with the Nevada Democrat Party for August . But they cancelled after Roger Ailes made a joke about Barak Obama .

Here is a link to the cancelling of that FOX Democrat debate. Dems cancel debate over Fox chief's Obama joke - CNN.com

Fox then teamed with the Congressional Black Caucus (primarily a Democrat group) for a Sept. 23 debate . But when all the top tier candidates said they would not participate Fox cancelled the Debate News Hounds: CBC-FOX sponsored Democratic presidential debate cancelled

The Republicans have already debated on CNN and MSNBC ;which had Chris Matthews as the moderator. What are the Democrats afraid of ? You know that if something similar had happened in a Fox Debate as what has now been documented in the CNN/Youtube debate ,Media Matters;Daily Kos ,Huffington Post and any number of other media sources would've been all over it . The controversy would last weeks.

I think they have to get a little more creative in the debate formats. Both parties have too many participants. Maybe they could design it like a round robbin tournament ,have a series of one on one Lincoln-Douglas debates . I saw something like that work very effectively in France during their last election cycle .Segolene Royal and Nicolas Sarkozy debated for almost 3 hours on French TV with almost no moderator intervention.
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Thank you for the links Tom!

I had completely forgotten about the name slip up back in March! A lot of things seem to be slipping my mind lately. We are so heavily barraged here in NH I am a bit on overload at the moment. I am desperately trying to, but can't really keep up with, all the information, interviews, and debates. Very frustrating. Just wait until they really start up in your state. At least you have high speed capability. I am in the boonies. As far as the internet is concerned, I am living in NY circa 1997.

I can understand how the Dems could easily do a quick side step and weasel out of a debate on Fox back then. He gave them the out on a silver platter. The second link talks about the CBC claiming conflict schedules. The Reps have the same issue so it really doesn't hold water. Since the Dems are able to pull this garbage, I am left wondering why the Reps agreed to the CNN debate in the first place. I am curious if the Dems just think that they "have it in the bag" due to the poll numbers on the current admin, and the Reps are willing to show up in any public venue they can to try to regain the public confidence.

I definitely agree with a round robbin approach. I would love to see that!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transferring from General Journal to the General Ledger [ 1 Answers ]

When transferring from the General Journal to the General Ledger which cash items do you transfer .:confused:

General Petraeus or General Betray Us? [ 37 Answers ]

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1242/1356147370_95b0e2cea6_o.jpg This MoveOn.org ad states, "Every independent report on the ground situation in Iraq shows that the surge strategy has failed." That is a bald-faced lie. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't MoveOn at the forefront of the "Bush...

YouTube debate last night. [ 14 Answers ]

Did you watch it and if so what impression were you overall left with? Especially the question …What would do to repair the image of America in the eyes of the Muslim world was one of the questions

Republican CNN-YouTube Debate Tonight [ 3 Answers ]

8PM EST (GMT -5): YouTube - Republican Debates.

Youtube [ 2 Answers ]

How can I save clips in my computer from YOUTUBE.there is no button to download. Please give me complete procedure to do it.

View more questions Search