Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dngrant Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2007, 04:47 AM
    What would it cost to convert fuses to circuit breakers at the electrical panel?
    What would it cost to convert fuses to circuit breakers at the electrical panel?
    grjack Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2007, 07:08 AM
    If you have fuses you probably have a small service entrance amperage
    (60-80 amps). You'll want to upgrade to at least 150 amps with the new
    Service panel. This means pulling a new thicker entrance wire from the weatherhead
    On the house (the spot where the lines from the utility pole meet your house)
    To the service panel (probably need a new meter housing too).

It's mostly a labor job, so it depends where you are. In Penna. I can get a 150 amp
    Service entrance (new weatherhead, entrance cable, meter housing and service panel)
    Installed for approx. $750-$1,000 - this includes, of course, them terminating the existing
    Circuits into the new service panel. If you have some old wiring (knob/tube or ungrounded
    Armored cable) you'll want to replace that too (if feasible) with new romex, That will
    Bring up the cost. What year was your house built? (that will tell if you likely have
    Kob/tube or ungrounded armored cable).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upgrading the panel from fuses to breakers [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Don't know everything... but know enough to do a lot on my own. Need to upgrade my home electrical panel from fuses to circuit breakers. So, is it legal that I can do this myself... with a permit and subsequent inspections? Thanks, Steve

Cost of converting fuse box to circuit breakers [ 18 Answers ]

I have a 100 amp electrical service using a fuse box to which a small circuit breaker panel was added (see photo). I would like to convert the whole service to a 150 amp circuit breaker panel. I live in Rochester, Minnesota. What is your estimate of the cost of this conversion?

Price for converting fuses to breakers [ 2 Answers ]

I'm wondering if someone can give me a "rough" estimate on what I can expect to pay to have my fuse box converted to circuit breakers. I already did some price research at HomeDepot and found a decently sixe Box for about $63 which includes the "guts". Then I found matching breakers for about...

What's better; Fuses or Breakers [ 6 Answers ]

I am looking at replacing the service box in my home. The main reason is that coming off the service box are two other switches, one for the Air Conditioning unit and one for other lights in the house. So I would like to get everything in one box. The existing service is a 100 amp Fuse box. I...

Fuses v breakers [ 3 Answers ]

thought I'd look on the web for this and I found this site. Here goes... my building was built in 1939 and has old cloth wire in it. My neighbors have all had their fuse boxes upgraded to circuit breakers, and since I recently fried a wire inside a conduit while hanging a fixture, I thought...

View more questions Search