Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uhhleesha Posts: 105, Reputation: 21

Nov 29, 2007, 10:54 PM
    I have to give my cat away.
    I have to give him away because of how he acts towards my other cat, Pixel. He always tries to start a fight. I have to keep them separated, and I know that they can't live like this for the rest of their lives. They deserve better.

I don't want to just put up a sign some where and give him to the first person to take him. I want to make sure that he goes to a good home, with lots of love that he deserves. If anyone has any information on how I could do this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 29, 2007, 11:00 PM
    Have you really given it the ol' college try to get them used to each other? What are their ages and backgrounds? How did you get each one?

WG / owned by four cats, all with different personalities

Nov 29, 2007, 11:07 PM
    I had them separated for a month, then tried to reintroduce them. They were both in their kitty kennels, and Mittens started hissing at Pixel. Once, someone left the bonus room door open and pixel ran right into Mittens. A huge fight broke out, and I had to take Pixel to the vet for bleeding. I can't let Pixel live in fear, and I can't let things like that happen ever again. I love him dearly, I really do. I just can't let them live like this. It's not fair for pixel to have to stay in the bonus room all day. He use to be the centre of attention 'till I brought mittens home.

Pixel was given to me by my aunt. He's very relaxed, and mellow cat.

Mittens I had taken in as a stray. He's very territorial, and demands all attention to be given to him. I'm getting a puppy soon, and I'm sure he won't be very happy about it. I think he belongs in a house where he'll be the only animal.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2007, 11:20 PM
    Are you saying that both of these cats are kittens? By the way, I really like your answer, Wondergirl! :)
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 11:21 PM
    Ask around with friends. Talk to a local humane society that practices non-euthanasia! See if you can place an add with them for interested parties... tell them the situation of the cats fighting and that you are seeking a home without other pets... Also a senior center might be a good option where an older person might want a companion animal... You could put up posters and even take the cat to meet people there... sounds like the poor little guy is used to having to fight other cats for food from when he was a stray.

Nov 30, 2007, 05:34 AM
    Pixel almost at a year and Mittens is a bit younger. I'm 100% sure though. They're fairly young, I do know that.
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2007, 06:01 AM
    Do you live with your parents?

Nov 30, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Yes, I do live with my parents.
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Is it you that is deciding that your cats needs to be separated or your parents?

Nov 30, 2007, 06:56 AM
    I am.
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2007, 07:01 AM
    Then, as Wondergirl has suggested in more or less these words, why not give your cats a chance to learn to live together?

Nov 30, 2007, 07:09 AM
    There's no 'learning' I've tried talking to my vet and everything. I really don't want to have to keep bringing pixel back to the vet from being attacked and bleeding. It's not something I want him to live through. He's a good cat, and he doesn't deserve that. Mittens is very territorial, and doesn't get along well with pixel or my other cats. It's mostly pixel that I'm worried about, because he doesn't fight back. I am not and will not allow them to live like this. Pixel is already scared to death as it is. They both deserve a good home, and as much as I love Mittens and would love to keep them I see that it is not possible.
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2007, 07:15 AM
    So, is it Mittens or Pixel that you are thinking of giving away to a good home?

Nov 30, 2007, 07:20 AM
    It's mittens.
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2007, 07:28 AM
    I think that I read from another thread on this site, that you are going to or are thinking about bringing a puppy into your home. Is that correct?

Nov 30, 2007, 07:39 AM
    This is correct.
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2007, 07:44 AM
    Then I think that the best thing for you to do is to give Mittens to a good home, as you have already decided. And also prepare your home for a new puppy in the best way that you can. I already know that you know how to do that.

As far as finding a home for Mittens, I hope that you have read the other posts on this thread with the suggestions that have been given.
    HSK Posts: 45, Reputation: 9

Nov 30, 2007, 09:33 AM
    Your Vet can also help you find other no-kill shelters besides the local Humane Soc.if they are full, and also may post something at the office for you.

I too have a cat that literally tries to kill another one of my cats. Luckily my house is large enough to keep them apart, but sometimes there is nothing you can do to make them get along/live together. Be sure when you surrender Mittens that you tell them he does not like other cats.

One question are they both altered? If not, that could be the problem.

Nov 30, 2007, 09:11 PM
    All my cats are neutered, but Mittens. I don't have the money to do so right now.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 30, 2007, 09:17 PM
    Well, that's the reason - Mittens needs to be neutered.

Would you keep Mittens if he calms down after being neutered?

The animal shelters in your area get low-cost vet care. Call shelters to find out if one of the vets or a vet clinic would neuter Mittens free or at a low cost. If the vet knows Mittens will lose his home if he doesn't get neutered, I'm sure you will get some help.

Of course, if you don't want Mittens anyway... And if this is the case, I'm not so sure you are ready for a puppy if you consider animals so disposable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I Give Up? [ 9 Answers ]

I am in recovery for alcoholism, have been sober for about 16 months. It's been hard but the best thing I have ever done. I have been struggling with a relationship with a man also in the Program. We are told in the Program to let go and let God. I try to do this but can't seem to let go on this...

I give him what he wants but he can't give me what I want? [ 14 Answers ]

My boyfriend was really horny the other night and talked me into having sex with him. Usually I want a little more time to get aroused so the sex feels better but he wanted it really bad, so I let him bend me over. After that, I asked him to finger me and he said he was hot and he would in a...

Should I just give up? [ 8 Answers ]

Okay.. I know in the past you have all told me that I might be insecure... but I'm not.. I just have trust issues.. mostly cause.. my boyfriend has done cocaine after promising me he wouldn't.. twice.. he said he is done now.. but I am just not sure if I should believe him or not.. but that's not...

To give or not to give [ 1 Answers ]

Was going out with this guy and it never worked out. We tried the whole friends thing and that didn't work out either. I have some of his stuff which he borrowed me. I'm going to give them back as I want to break all ties with him. A part of me want to give him back things he gave to me as gifts....

Should I give up on her? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi this is my first time to ask a question on this would really appreciate any help!I have been with my girlfriend for just over 2 and a half years,I am her first person to ever sleep with her and there's a six year age gap between us,which has never been a problem,right up until we broke up she...

View more questions Search