Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mezza123 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 08:27 PM
    Theft Under 5000-canada
    Hello,

Back in may I was caught shoplifting in a walmart store. I was never convicted or charged for the crime. I never had to pay anything or go to court. I was just recently askes to sign a consent form for a background check for a job. Will it mentioned something about CPIC. Will my offense show up in the background check although I was not charged?? Could the company somehow get access to this information because although I was not charged I know that the police have the incident on file.?

Also, I was recently interviewed with a bank for a job. Again they mentioned I would have to doe a criminal check and a police check. Are they the same thing? Although I believe my criminal record is clear cause I was never charged. Can the police check reveal info about the incident. IS there any possible way the bank could find out about tjis?? What are the different types of possible checks the bank could hold??

Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2007, 10:43 AM
    [QUOTE=mezza123]Hello,

Back in may I was caught shoplifting in a walmart store. I was never convicted or charged for the crime. I never had to pay anything or go to court. I was just recently askes to sign a consent form for a background check for a job. Will it mentioned something about CPIC. Will my offense show up in the background check although I was not charged?? Could the company somehow get access to this information because although I was not charged I know that the police have the incident on file.?

Also, I was recently interviewed with a bank for a job. Again they mentioned I would have to doe a criminal check and a police check. Are they the same thing? Although I believe my criminal record is clear cause I was never charged. Can the police check reveal info about the incident. IS there any possible way the bank could find out about tjis?? What are the different types of possible checks the bank could hold??

Cannot speak for Canada (I'm in US) but a crimnal record check is just that - a search throughout the Country (usually) for your name and SS and a criminal record; a Police check is a search of the Police network for incident/accident reports.

WalMart is pretty tough - I wonder why they let you walk away? Did they tell you to stay away from the store? If so, the Police will also have that info.
    mezza123 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Yes they told me not to go back for a year. Could someone who knows the canadian syestem please hel me!!
    pumpkin22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2010, 08:53 AM
    You are lucky. I was caught at Wal Mart and now have to go to court. If you didn't have to go to court and were not charged, nothing will show on your record so no worries. If you did have to go to court though there is also something in Canada called a diversion program where you can do a program and have the charges taken off your record if it's a first offence under $5000. As for the difference in a police check and a record check I think they are different and that even if nothing shows on a record check, things like allegations of an offence or local disturbances can show on a police check. Look at this link and I think you can obtain your own record and police checks for yourself to see if anything is on them. Good luck. http://www.volunteerguelphwellington.on.ca/useredits/File/PRCBrochureEng.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under $ 5000.00 Canada [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I was at a grocery store with my two children. I went into the make up section and I needed 2 lipsticks and a lipliner. I chose which items I wanted and as I was pushing the cart around with my two kids, I wanted to put the lipsticks down but thought to myself if I do they will fall through the...

Theft under $5000-Canada [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I was caught for stealing at walmart. They brought me into the back room and did a police chack. Since it wamy first offense, I was pardoned. They didn't issue me a court date or anything, does this mean I don't have to go to court?. Do pardons show up on your record? I am currenlty looking...

Theft of about $5000 - Canada [ 4 Answers ]

This is my first offence. I have been caught doing refunds for cash and gift cards at Sears. The amount as of right now is around $4000. I was wondering what type of punishment I might receive. I know I screwed up so there's no need to call me stupid as I already feel that way. This is my first...

Theft under 5000-canada [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks for the help. However, if they were going to press charges, wouldn't they have done it right away when the theft occurred?. Why do it at a later date?. If theyare going to press charges how long do they usually wait?. and how does this occur?. letter in the mail?

Theft over $5000 in Canada [ 11 Answers ]

In May 2006, I had a merging of accounts at my bank. This deposited about $27,000 into my checking account. I called the bank and the call centre to get this straigtened out and no matter what, they insisted it was mine since all of my information was correct. I paid off a few bills and spent some...

View more questions Search