Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    solarbaby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2003, 02:40 PM
    Remove myself from "Authorized user"
    I was the "authorized user" on a BankOne credit card. It has been closed and I've been paying on it for 3 years.
    I understand an authorized user is not responsible for the payment or liable for the balance?
    How can I get off this card entirely?

The Primary accountholder will not do it.
    uncutbulldog Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2004, 07:48 PM
    As an authorized user, you ARE responsible for payments. I'm sure if you checked your credit report, that credit card company is listed on there. If the payments are not made, your credit will suffer.
    youareceo Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2004, 12:25 PM
    UncutBulldog is NOT right. They CANNOT come after you. But it CAN hurt your credit. There was a lawsuit class action about this a while back... Creditors were listing this kind of thing illegally.

Once I got a collection notice to my BROTHER - authorized use - on my account as cardholder. When I told them he was a user, they left him alone. They can't do a THING unless you are married in a community property state!

The contract is between the cardholder and the bank. However, the bank has a legal obligation if you do not want to be listed, even if it was a charge off or collection, to remove you from the record with your written request.

You need make no request to have yourself added, only the cardholder. So what would stop me listing George Bush Sr as my authorized user? Nothing, because there are no controls.

Recognizing that, you can always say you NEVER authorized to be a user, and they'll have to remove any negative marks to. Dubya's dad doesn't want my charge offs on his report, does he?

Jon
    [email protected]

The preceding is not legal advice, is not from a licensed debt counselor, and is not provided to persons from states which providing such information requires a license.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Authorized User of Credit Card Account of Deceased - what now? [ 3 Answers ]

Unusual situation perhaps... I am the authorized user on a number of US credit card accounts on which my father was primary cardholder. My father recently passed away overseas (as a dual citizen of US and the country in which he died) and his estate is being handled by the court of the European...

Authorized user [ 4 Answers ]

I was made a authorized user by my daughter not even knowing about it.Then started getting phone calls from collection agency that I was responsible for the debt that has went unpaid. I explained I was only a authorized user not a co-signer and at the time the credit card was issued to my daughter...

View more questions Search