Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Indymek Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 06:43 PM
    How Do I raise my water pressure?
    Hi, I read some of these other questions first and have summarized my question with that information. I have a two story home, less than 3 yrs. Old, pex tubing, well, pump, and pressure tank. In the last few months the water pressure has seemed to really diminish in the house. If I turn on the shower and flush the toilet, the pressure is gone until the toilet refills, or if you flush the toilet there is no sink pressure... I am wondering is there a posssibility that the pressure tank bladder has lost it's pressure, and can I repressurize it. While showering, the water pressure fluctuates up and down rather rapidly. (25-30 second cycles) The entire house is really suffering including the hose spigots outside... I am not sure where to start? Thanks for your help. Jimmy
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Sounds like your tank might be waterlogged, which is to say there is no air in the tank. This will cause the pump to short cycle, producing what you are experiencing in your shower. Rapid pressure drops and rises. You can usually track this by watching your pressure gauge with a faucet on. You will be able to see this easily. Your tank should be able to give you five or six gallons (at least) of water before the pump cuts back in.
    Your bladder tank has an air valve at the top. Press that and see if water comes out. If it does, then the bladder is ruptured. You can also use a hammer and lightly tap the tank, beginning at the bottom and moving to the top. You can generally tell from the "tone" of the taps when water stops and air begins. If the tank is full of water, then the bladder is toast. Short term, you can refill the tank with air with the air valve on top. Turn off power to the pump, drain the tank by turning on a faucet. Add some air as the water falls if you need to. Once the tank is largely empty, you can turn on power and use the tank. Long term, however, you will want a new tank. The air in the tank will gradually dissolve into the water until, once again, there is no air in the tank.
    I might add that losing a tank in only three years is kind of strange.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low hot water pressure through the whole house even ater replacing water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I'm still experiencing low hot water pressure even after replacing the water heater. When you first turn on the faucets the pressure will be fine but within a few seconds it drops again.

Surging water pressure & leaking water heater relief valve [ 19 Answers ]

Just recently the pressure of our water in the house surges when we turn a faucet on, and the city water company verified that our pressure in the house when we open a faucet is higher than the pressure in the lines in the street, and after the water runs is at a normal pressure (meaning their...

Low water pressure oil hot water heating system [ 1 Answers ]

How does one go about increasing water pressure in a baseboard heating system?

House water pressure from well losing pressure [ 2 Answers ]

I have a well at my home that provides the primary water . I have replaced the well pump with a new one, the pressure tank was bad replaced it, pressure switch was bad replaced it. Now I cannot maintain pressure through out my house. The initial pressure is good for about 10 seconds then it slowly...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

View more questions Search