Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grumanpi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2005, 12:30 PM
    Bathroom cabinets
    Im thinking of building my own bathroom cabinets from hardwood but I'm not sure which timber to use or what the best finish should be. With the choices available can anyone recommend something that they have tried. I have a large workshop and can cover most things.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2005, 04:33 PM
    If you use oak, you can pick up many matching accents. On the other hand, for all the work, you may as well have what you really like.

If you don't use laminate for the top, I would finish it in a moisture cure urethane. Tough stuff. I have housebroken 7 puppies since I put it on our family room floor. No problems. It is hard to find. The only source I am sure of is Rexthane from Sherwin Williams. Do not confuse it with the tung oil stuff from Min-Wax. The moisture cure urethane cures by drawing moisture out of the air, and actually chemically bonds to wood.
    rudradatta Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2006, 11:38 PM
    Hi,

I think you are absolutely right
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

May 9, 2006, 06:46 AM
    How many coats of the moisture cure do you use? Is it possible to lightly sand the top layer to add more? I'm putting an oak floor in a new bath and want to use the best possible protection. Have been thinking of multiple coats of regular oil-based polyurethane.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painting kitchen cabinets [ 1 Answers ]

Our kitchen cabinets are dark brown and I believe are made of formica. What is the best way to paint them? Do we need to use a deglosser on them? What is the best primer and paint to use? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Painting Kitchen Cabinets [ 4 Answers ]

:( Two weeks ago, I decided to paint my kitchen cabinets. Unfortunately, I misread the directions I had obtained searching on the internet. I cleaned the cabinets really well with a degreaser, removed them all. My husband added trim. I sanded the new trim but didn’t sand the old varnish that was on...

Refinishing kitchen cabinets [ 3 Answers ]

Yes I want to paint my kitcen cabinets a light color (they are a verydark brown now)they have probably 4 coats of paint on them now I tried to strip them and was unsuccessful if I prime them and repaint them they will look terrible what should I do? I was considering maybe sanding but would really...

Gap between cabinets and gas range [ 1 Answers ]

How do I go about filling in a gap between my gas range and a cabinet. The gap is 25 inches length but the space near the front of the gas range is 1/2 inch and it gets narrower as the gap approaches the wall (1/8 inch). I am afraid food would drop in there and there would be no way to clean it...

View more questions Search