Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slacier Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Puppy started pooping in crate
    Hello,
    I have a 5 month old puppy that just started pooping in her crate. When we first started brought her home, she had no problem with the crate. She would occasionally pee, but no poop. The only thing that had changed was my husband and I went out of town and we boarded her and our other dog. Ever since we came home she poops in her kennel. She can even make it through the night. What is wrong? Can you help?
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 04:15 PM
    Does she have soft stool?? That might be a sign of something wrong. If her stool is normal (firm) then you need to learn to put her out before bed or change her eating habit. Maybe feed her in the morning and then get her outside. If you feed in the evening, do it earlier in the evening. Our last dog was fed at 5am and 5pm. In the morning he was out first, then eat, in the evening he ate and then was out after dinner.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2007, 05:32 PM
    Almost all behavior problems call for a vet visit for a check up. Discuss spaying her too. 6 months is the usual time, and the best idea for most pets. It could be she has decided she is too old to be left in her crate, although it is possible the kennel didn't give them very good care. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

I would likely not use that kennel again. Once forced to live in her own filth, it may be hard to work her out of fouling her crate. Unless you have changed her schedule, I doubt it is the problem. How long are you leaving her in her crate in the daytime? I hate to see a dog left more than 4-5 hours. If neither of you can make it back to give them a mid day break, can you find a neighbor or a professional dog walker? Doggy day care is always a good idea if you can.

Finally, you can try the old peanut butter in the Kong trick. Fill a Kong with peanut butter and leave it in the crate for her. The more food motivated dogs will be to busy trying to lick the peanut butter out to do anything else. Freeze it to make it last longer if you need to.
    slacier Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn
    Does she have soft stool??? That might be a sign of something wrong. If her stool is normal (firm) then you need to learn to put her out before bed or change her eating habit. Maybe feed her in the morning and then get her outside. If you feed in the evening, do it earlier in the evening. Our last dog was fed at 5am and 5pm. In the morning he was out first, then eat, in the evening he ate and then was out after dinner.

Thank you for your answer. Her stool is normal. We take her out right before bed and up early in the morning. She usually eats at 5am and 5:30pm.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2007, 08:39 AM
    I forgot to mention, it is a good idea to walk them around a bit to stimulate a bowel movement when you take them out.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2007, 12:06 AM
    Slacier, this should have been posted in dog's not Zoology. I wish Labman would have moved it there. This post and expert advice could be of great help to the next person that is looking for similar advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy still pooping in crate [ 11 Answers ]

All right, so I wrote a few months ago about my problems with my puppy pooping in his crate. He is now over 6 months old and still doing it. I am quite sure that he has never really bonded with his crate and I do not know how to remedy this. He does not have accidents inside the house (besides the...

Puppy pooping in crate [ 1 Answers ]

My 7 mth old beagle poops in her crate every day while I'm at work. My grandmother goes over and lets her out twice during the day so she is only left for 4hrs at the most without being taken out to go to the bathroom. She's been to the vet and recently fixed, but the problen continues. Please...

14 week old puppy started pooping in crate at night? [ 2 Answers ]

We have a choc. Lab puppy. We have had him since he was 8 weeks old. He has NEVER pooped in the crate. That was until this last week. Now, almost every night he is pooping in the crate. We have changed nothing. He is a healthy puppy. He is walked nightly before we go to bed and gets up with...

Puppy pooping in crate [ 22 Answers ]

My 10 week old puppy is doing really well with training during the day, but he poops (sometimes twice a night) in his crate. His last meal of the day is at 6:45 and he usually poops twice before he goes to bed at 11:00. We get up at 3 am to take him out and he has usually gone by then. He has...

View more questions Search