Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uhhleesha Posts: 105, Reputation: 21

Nov 30, 2007, 06:45 AM
    I was talking about the breeder I've talked to. The lady is really nice, and I'd like to think that she's well educated about birthing puppies, as well as taking care of them, and the Yorkshire breed in general. Sorry for my lack of specifying.

I just didn't like the fact that she was really rude to me. I was questioning her about her puppies there, she cut me off mid sentence to ask my age. I told her I was sixteen, then in this snobby voice said "We don't adopt to children, we only adopt to people who are over the age of eighteen." Then, she hung up on me. Not a 'bye' or 'sorry' or questioning me about all the research and how my mom was willing to sign the papers that were needed.

I do plan on considering this. I'm sure I'll more time in January when the Holidays and exams have passed.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2007, 07:16 AM
    I see. Sorry for the mixup. Unfortunately, you are going to encounter that type of attitude from people. That is why I was suggesting your Mother get very involved. By law, anyone under the age of 18 cannot be bound to a contract for anything. So, people will view speaking with you as a waste of their time. You might want to preface the conversation by stating that your Mother is very aware of what you are doing and she will be the one signing for you and taking the legal responsibilities for the dog, BUT it will be your dog, you will be caring for it, training it, and paying for it. Just explain that your mother has given you the responsibility to talk to people, gather information, and choose the dog. Tell them that she feels this is all part of the responsibility of dog ownership. They should respect that kind of attitude and be willing to work with you.
    dogpoundbrenda Posts: 78, Reputation: 12

Dec 1, 2007, 09:06 PM
    Have you tried petfinders.com there are millions of animals dying in shelters everyday,I know because for 6 years I managed a shelter and it broke my heart to see a healthy animal die because no one wanted them.I have a Min.Pin that I got when she was 9 now she's 15,2 Boxers, a Pug and a Beagle all rescued from abuse or neglect and I have never regreted it.If you really want a Yorkie pup you should get one,but at least consider adoption.Hope things work out for you.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 10:07 PM
    If anybody bothered to read the rest of thread, you would see when I suggested Pet Finders, the OP had already checked them.
    dogpoundbrenda Posts: 78, Reputation: 12

Dec 1, 2007, 11:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    If anybody bothered to read the rest of thread, you would see when I suggested Pet Finders, the OP had already checked them.
    No I did'nt read the rest of the threads, PetFinders just came to mind,I am against breeding period,I have seen to many born to die.I currently work as a vet.assistant and both of my Vets.are against breeding for the same reasons.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2007, 06:42 AM
    Thank you DPB. I wish more people on this site had your attitude. Before posting to any thread it is wise to review all the posts to avoid any duplications. :) Please stay and have a look around at some of the questions, particularly the breeders who don't have a clue as to what they are doing. Those of us against irresponsible breeding practices can use all the help we can get.

I have sent uhhleesha many rescue links that have available dogs in her area, with more to follow this coming week. I didn't send her this particular one because it is not in her area, but I am posting it here for the more unenlightened people who don't understand the plight of the shelter dog to take a look at. I was appalled and upset at the condition some of these yorkies were in. Scroll down the link and see the pics of the dogs that were living in a van with 25 other dogs (especially the photos of "snuggly" & "bobbi"). It made me heartsick to see this. Our Dogs
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 29, 2008, 11:21 AM
    It's been awhile uhleesha, I was wondering if you ever found a little friend! If so, post some pics!!
    spinphoto Posts: 125, Reputation: 7

May 29, 2008, 11:08 PM
    Don't know if anyone has posted this yet but please go to petfinder.com.. many, many dogs in need of good homes.
    Vision Expert

May 30, 2008, 12:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spinphoto
    Don't know if anyone has posted this yet but please go to petfinder.com.. many, many dogs in need of good homes.
    You can read the thread to see if anyone suggested it.
    spinphoto Posts: 125, Reputation: 7

May 30, 2008, 02:08 PM
    Oh thank you for your unnecessary insight.
    Vision Expert

May 30, 2008, 02:28 PM
    You are very welcome. I do believe it is necessary. It's common respect to read a thread before posting in it, so that you know what has and hasn't been covered.
    uhhleesha Posts: 105, Reputation: 21

Jan 19, 2009, 01:22 PM

I haven't updated or anything, so I hope it's okay to bump.

I have a dog now, and his name is Odin. He basically fell into my lap one day. My friend brought him home from the shelter without her mom's consent and was unable to keep him. So, I offered to take him and here we are.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Becoming a breeder [ 13 Answers ]

I'm just curious.. but what does it take to become a dog breeder? Like do you need to be certified do you need any schooling and so on and so forth

New breeder [ 13 Answers ]

My mini dachshund was supposed to be fixed I don't know if there was still extra sperm left or what but towards the end of my females first heat my mom found them hooked together that was about a week ago now her teets are starting to swell up. What is happening?:confused:

How to find owners who also got sick pups from a breeder [ 6 Answers ]

:( Is there any way to find people that got sick Dachshund pups from the same breeder. I mean there site says that you can talk to past buyers but you know they won't give you the names of dissatisfied buyers. I would really like to find out if others were done wrong too.

Rescue dogs [ 1 Answers ]

We acquired a rescue dog (chihuahua), that is, a dog kept in its kennel all its life by a puppy mill. We were very concerned to discover the other day that the dog was eating its own feces. Apparently there are certain animals in the wild -- types of snowshoe hares for instance -- that re-cycle...

View more questions Search