Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 29, 2007, 03:25 PM
    I got a new job.
    Is it inappropriate to give my two-week notice but say that I want to leave in ten days? I really do start in two weeks at the new place, I just want a few days off to relax. This previous job was so stressful I want some time to recooperate...

I did not leave the job for that reason, I'm leaving because the new job is a fantastic opportunity.. :D
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Nov 29, 2007, 03:27 PM
    You don't have to give 2 weeks notice... it is just preffered so that your employer has time to find someone to replace you. If you want to have a good reference from them for in the future you may want to give 2 weeks though.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 03:29 PM
    You may just want to talk to the "higher ups" at the job you are leaving and tell them your situation. They will more than likely understand, and 10 days should be enough time for them to make arrangements for someone to take your place. :)
    Vision Expert

Nov 29, 2007, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    You may just want to talk to the "higher ups" at the job you are leaving and tell them your situation. They will more than likely understand, and 10 days should be enough time for them to make arrangements for someone to take your place. :)
    My boss IS the higher up. Her and her husband are the Optometrists and own the practice. They are also in the hiring process because they need someone for the new office that has just opened up. So I don't feel that bad leaving, as they can easily find a replacement.
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    My boss IS the higher up. Her and her husband are the Optometrists and own the practice. They are also in the hiring process because they need someone for the new office that has just opened up. So I don't feel that bad leaving, as they can easily find a replacement.
    If they are already in the hiring process, then yeah, it should be easy to find a replacement for you. In my opinion, it would be inappropriate to tell them you'll stay 2 weeks and then just leave after 10 days, but if you told them everything ahead of time and gave them a good heads up, I think that would be better.

Good luck at your new job! I think new jobs are exciting! :)
    Vision Expert

Nov 29, 2007, 03:42 PM
    Sorry I phrased that incorrectly, would it be appropriate to give a ten day notice? There. And yes the new job is not only exciting. But a HUGE step for me in the industry. And will look great on my resume and college applications.
    kiki_doki Posts: 200, Reputation: 11

Nov 29, 2007, 03:42 PM
    I say take some time out... enjoy life again (well work free for a couple of days)... oohhh go shopping when its not too packed out! I don't think there is anything wrong with that and I agree that the notice your going to give is fine! Because...

Your worth it (pout)
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 03:45 PM
    Sorry I phrased that incorrectly, would it be appropriate to give a ten day notice? There. And yes the new job is not only exciting. But a HUGE step for me in the industry. And will look great on my resume and college applications.
    Good for you! That is so awesome. I don't see anything wrong with giving a 14, 10, or 5 day notice (or whatever else), as long as you give notice. :p

Good luck and I hope it all goes well! :)
    Vision Expert

Nov 29, 2007, 03:47 PM
    Thanks for the great advice guys.
    Vision Expert

Nov 29, 2007, 03:48 PM
    I also have another question? Should I give them the notice verbally or written?
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 03:50 PM
    I also have another question? Should I give them the notice verbally or written??
    I have had one employer in the past forget that I gave him verbal notice, and got real ticked off when I left (I don't know how he forgot, the business was so small, there were only like 10 employees).

If you want to make sure you cover yourself and leave this job on good terms, you could actually give both verbal and written.
    Vision Expert

Nov 29, 2007, 03:57 PM
    Good idea, thanks...

There are five employees, including myself..
    kiki_doki Posts: 200, Reputation: 11

Nov 29, 2007, 04:09 PM
    Yeah I would def say give written notice, irrelative of company size... just to cover your back.
    (",) Congrats
    Vision Expert

Nov 29, 2007, 04:11 PM
    Thank you!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 29, 2007, 05:02 PM
    If this is a small office and everyone is close, either works fine

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question: