Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2005, 10:24 AM
    Location of GFI Switches
    undefinedundefinedundefined

We are doing a bathroom remodel and have hired a licensed general contractor who subs out the electrical work.

We took out our standard tub and have installed a whirlpool spa. The general contractor and the electrician are in disagreement as to where the gfi switch for the tub should be.

The electrician put the switch in the bathroom closet because he said code states it must be located out of reach of anyone standing in the tub. The general contractor states it is against code to put the gfi switch in the closet. I am unable to find info as to who is right per code.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2005, 02:01 PM
    The only code for a switch for a hot tub is that it be mounted no closer than five feet from the inside walls of the tub, as per the 2002 edition of the National Electric Code, Sec 680.43(C).

Switches are allowed in a clothes closet, circuit breaker panelboards are not, perhaps this is what the GC is referring to.

Let the local inspector help with this. There may be state or local codes that I am unaware of.
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Dec 7, 2005, 05:37 PM
    Tell your GC to pipe down. The electrician will have to pass inspection from his electrical inspector. OK so maybe a bit more tact is in order. But the GC is just that, the Electrician is just that. Let the Electricain wire and the GC can schedule contractors and patch holes his clean up guy whacks in the wall with a broom handle.

The other thing is I obviously do not know what sort of tub you are having installed. But a faceless GFI would serve better than a switch in many cases. As indoor jacuzzi type tubs normally have an integral on off switch built into the unit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lights and switches [ 1 Answers ]

About a month ago we went to replace the bulb in my sons closet and it wouldn't work.. so we never got aorund of calling a electrician yet.. thinking it might be the wires where you put in the bulbs... well the light bulb was out in my laundry room last night so I replaced it and went to cut it on...

Three way switches [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to wire three way switches with multiple light between them. I have 12/2 from the panel to the first switch then 12/3 through all the lights. At the last light I switched the common and neutral to supply power to the end switch. From the first switch I can control all lights (5...

3 way switches [ 2 Answers ]

I have a light on the ceiling and two switches each at opposite sides of the room to control the light. The switches have worked fine for 20 some years but now the one switch when off will not let the other switch turn the light on. I have replaced both switches but still have the same problem. Any...

3way or 4 way switches? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in an old 3 decker that was recently rehab'ed and turned into condo's. There is a main stair way that runs up to serve the second and third floors. On each floor (main, 2nd, third) there is a light switch that when turned on, will turn on a hallway light on each floor. We want to...

Switches [ 1 Answers ]

I have a lite at the top of the stairs with one switch for it at the top. I want to and a secong switch at the bottom of the stairs. I believe the incoming power it at the switch (top of stairs) How do I add a second swich to control lite?

View more questions Search