Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dianeg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 10:13 AM
    Can I put Mini Puffer fish in a community?
    I just bought 2 baby mini puffer fish and put them in my community tank. They are not aggressive, but they do not let other fish near them. I have zebras, catfish, neons, platy's and several other peaceful fish in a 20 gallon tank. Will these puffers play nice, or should I return them now?
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Unfortunately, they will not play nice, especially as the get older.
    petguy Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Puffers get big and they are carnivores!! They will eat your fish or at least bite tails and fins which will make your fish stressed and thus DEATH... plus puffers are brackish water fish (they like it more salty) and you community fish don't need that much salt... so its up to you?
    Angel_llynya Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dianeg
    I just bought 2 baby mini puffer fish and put them in my community tank. They are not aggressive, but they do not let other fish near them. I have zebras, catfish, neons, platy's and several other peaceful fish in a 20 gallon tank. Will these puffers play nice, or should I return them now?
    If by mini puffer you mean pea puffers you can try a slow transition over to fresh water, but yes , they are brackish water fish. That means they like high levels of salt that could be lethal to the other fish in your aquarium. Pea puffers are not as aggressive as their larger cousins but they will claim an area as there's and defend it to the end. That does mean tail and fin nipping, chasing around the tank, and just reeking havek for the other peaceful fish. If your really want to keep them freash you should start with a small tank and brackish. As you do your weekly water change slowly lower the salt levels. This doesn't always work. I've have 2 fails before I had succusses. I also keep them with fish a little more aggressive. I chose graumies. They are in a 20gal that is heavily planted with both live and fake plants so every one has an easier time forgetting about everyone else in there. Also puffers have little beak's and keep growing. So they need to eat foods that are harder to help keep it filed down. I got those horrible snails from the local pet store from time to time when I couldn't find the cheap little ghost shrimp. But if you do put snails in watch out! They breed like mad and can easily take over a tank if you over feed and clean up regularly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

Floating Miniature Puffer Fish [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 5 gallon Eclipse Biofilter aquarium with two mini Puffers (Tetraoadon Travancorius)in it. I bought the fish three weeks ago. Two weeks ago I did my first 10% water change and the larger fish immediately started having trouble swimming and spent a great deal of time floating upside...

View more questions Search