Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jayde6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 06:35 AM
    My hamster is lossing weight
    My hamster is a winter white and she is about 4months old and she is unusually hyperactive and doesn't seem to be eating any food she has lost a lot of weight and she stores her food under the saw dust in her cage.

Can you tell me why she is doing this. Do I need to take her to the vets.
    Tyne26 Posts: 214, Reputation: 8

Nov 29, 2007, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jayde6
    My hamster is a winter white and she is about 4months old and she is unusually hyperactive and doesnt seem to be eating any food she has lost alot of weight and she stores her food under the saw dust in her cage.

Can you tell me why she is doing this. Do i need to take her to the vets.
    Yes take her to the vet they will help and explaint to you what maybe be wrong. Some animals store food. I have a lhasa apso dog and he sometimes doesn't eat for a while but stores his food in places... Take her to the vet to ease you worry, let me know how u get on
    dianeg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 10:28 AM
    My hamster is a winter white and she is about 4months old and she is unusually hyperactive and doesnt seem to be eating any food she has lost alot of weight and she stores her food under the saw dust in her cage.

Have you checked her teeth? Hamsters teeth continue to grow and unless they chew on wood or toys their teeth will overgrow. It is especially a problem if you have a wire cage and the hamster chews on the wire, then the teeth become misaligned. The vet can easily cut the teeth so your hamster can start eating again.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 10, 2007, 12:27 AM
    dianeg is right. Hamsters need to have things to chew on that will help grind down their teeth otherwise they will grow too long to allow the hamster to eat.
    csussa Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 01:15 PM

Yes dianeg is right its very painful for them to eat when there teeth are overgrown, do you have any gnawing toys in the cage? Its suppsoe to trim them down as they are constantly growing. So id recommend still also going to the vets.
    Please contact me and tell me if its all OK? Xx

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hamster weight loss/laziness [ 17 Answers ]

My hamster is a golden hamster who is only 1 year old. He is not eating at all, including treats. He is not running in his wheel and is spending most of his time laying around ALL the time. How do I take his temperature? What should I do?

Hamster concerns [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! Am an unfortunate new hamster owner here. My hamster died after 9 days under me :confused:, just about to take her to the vet today but it was too late. I don't know why but her eyes has been closed the past 2 days and just yesterday night, she was still active I presume as she was still...

Hamster Qs [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a friend, he says a lot of things... The other day he said a hamster could kill a rat by jumping on its back and biting its neck. This seems a bit silly to me, the largest animal I could find that they eat using Google was locusts. Does this actually happen or is he making things...

Lossing weight [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all , I'm 16 weeks pregnant. Today I went for a monthly check up to my Gyn ,everything was fine but I lost 1 lb. instead of gaining weight.. I'm very much tensed as to what to eat and what not to and how I can I increase my weight . I 'm a non-veggie but only eat chicken and fish(that to...

I am on a Protein Diet, but not lossing much weight [ 3 Answers ]

I am 6ft 4in and weigh 130Kgs,(lost 5kgs in 1month) I have been on the Protein Diet (Yes, where you do not have any carbohydrates in your diet) but only been eating protein and vegetables. However I am not losing much weight. What I have discovered is that maybe I am eating carbs in meals that...

View more questions Search