Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joynerc1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 03:44 AM
    All drains are leading to the toilet down stairs and overflowing it.
    We have plunged it and snaked it, but it seems that when we drain the tub upstairs it overflows the downstairs toilet, when we do laundry which is downstairs, it overflows the toilet. Dare we try the dishwasher. Do all the drains lead to one toilet? Also could the drain vents be stopped up? It is an older home. Any suggestions are welcome. Thx. Charlotte
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 29, 2007, 08:56 AM
    No all drains do not lead to one toilet but they are like branches on atre all leading to a trunk. The trunk is your main drain line and only one line exits to home toward the city sewer or septic. You clog is after the basement toilet so you could start there with a 1'2" snake, pull the toilet if you can't find your clean out on the main. If the cleanout has standing water the clog is between you and the outside of the house. If the clean out is dry then the clog is upstream in he drain line.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Overflowing [ 2 Answers ]

Once we flush, if not watched, the toilet most of the time fills and fills and overflows, flooding my house. How do we fix this problem? Sorry, let me explain. The toilet does fflush, it's when it is refilling with the clean water. I have had plumbers, rotor rooter, and friends all come out. They...

Toilet overflowing when washer drains [ 2 Answers ]

My downstairs toilet overflowed when my washing machine drained. This happened once before and the plumber pulled debris from the clean out pipe located outside the house. I opened up the clean out plug and have pulled some debris out. There is still water in the pipe. When I plunge it, the...

Overflowing toilet! [ 2 Answers ]

A plumber came to our house yesterday because our main floor and upstairs (we have three floors and the basement toilet and tub were operating properly) toilets and tubs were backed up. He decided to remove the upstairs toilet after he pumped out the water from the tub that was left standing. He...

Basement Toilet Overflowing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 floor house with a full basement. Each floor has a bathroom located on it. The basement toilet recently started to overflow even though it is not being used. The water in the toilet is almost black and seems to overflow when water in the rest of the house is used. I attempted to use a...

Basement toilet bubbles when upstairs toilet is flushed and washer drains. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just recently (last few days) my toilet in the basement bathroom has begun to bubble. This is caused when one of the upstairs toilets (directly above it) flushes but not another one upstairs. It also bubbles quite rapidly when the clothes washer drains. The washer is located in the...

View more questions Search