Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kar_the_terrible Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 02:35 PM
    Should Rotors be changed with brake pads every time?
    My Saab dealer tells me my rear pads are wearing down and says the rotors need to be changed out too, apparently because they cannot be "turned". What does that mean? Or is this a way for car dealers to mark up prices.

I also remember my sister complaining that her VW needed the same kind of treatment. Is this specific only to European cars?
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 02:41 PM
    Disc brake rotors should last longer than that! However if they are warped or scored then they need turning or replacing. Most import cars are manufactured lighter for a reason, namely things like brake rotors are thinner reducing weight and cannot be turned or more correctly resurfaced. Turning is a process where the rotor is mounted in a lathe and a small amount of material is removed from the wear surfaces to make them compatible with new brake pads. Personally I will not turn a rotor unless it is warped or scored. But then again you are taking your car to the dealer who wants all of your money. Might want to source out a good independent repair shop that knows about your brand of car and make good friends with them.
    kar_the_terrible Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 02:49 PM
    My point exactly. The car is still under warranty, but of course wearables are not covered. I'm searching for a good independent shop.

In any case, upon doing some research posts in other forums indicate that the rotors are manufactured in such a way.. so unless I get aftermarket rotors that have greater thickness I have to keep doing this.

K
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 02:52 PM
    If you don't get to the brakes in time, the rotors have to be "turned". In many cases, the rotors have to be replaced, because too much material needs to be removed to keep the rotors in specification.

OK, what happens. The brake bads are secured sotimes by rivits. There is sometimes a squeek clip mounted on the rotors, so when you apply the brakes the brakes squeek "On Purpose". This means the brakes need attention NOW!

As the pads wear, the rivets can get exposed. These rivets cut into the rotor surface. If the rotor surface isn't smooth, it has much less braking power. "Turning" means putting them on a lathe and removing metal until the surface smooth again. If the resultant thickness is less than what is stamped on the rotors, they need to be replaced.

My rule of thumb is inspect the brakes at 30K miles and then base the next inspection interval on brake material left. Insist that you know the amount of material on the pad in 32 nd's of an inch at each inspection before it hits the drum or the rivet. You can interplate the number of miles left and when to do the next inspection.

Pads can be glued too.
    Farmerjohn692000 Posts: 63, Reputation: 8

Nov 28, 2007, 02:53 PM
    What you are being fed is bull. If you can stick your fingers through your rims and feel the smooth shiny flat piece back there if it feels rough you need to change it, if it is smooth they are fine. This is just a way for dealers to rack up sales because you and your sister are female. My wife had the same treatment with her toyota till I stepped in before we got married. If I were you I would go to an auto parts store and ask them to look at your rotors if they can and get an opinion from them. And turning means to cut the rotor down so it is smooth again. Good luck and watch the dealers
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 28, 2007, 07:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kar_the_terrible
    My Saab dealer tells me my rear pads are wearing down and says the rotors need to be changed out too, apparently because they cannot be "turned". What does that mean? Or is this a way for car dealers to mark up prices.

I also remember my sister complaining that her VW needed the same kind of treatment. Is this specific only to European cars?
    Normally, I would say that most brake rotors should last longer than you describe.
    However, that vehicle has a very aggressive braking system, lending to it's performance image. You can't have radical performance without a sacrifice.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 28, 2007, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kar_the_terrible
    My point exactly. The car is still under warranty, but of course wearables are not covered. I'm searching for a good independent shop.

In any case, upon doing some research posts in other forums indicate that the rotors are manufactured in such a way.. so unless I get aftermarket rotors that have greater thickness I have to keep doing this.

K
    Be very careful! Thickness isn't the issue. The brake calipers only open just so far!
    The real issue here is about braking performance and braking materials.

You probably didn't search the lowest price when purchasing this car. Don't sell yourself short when it comes to being able to have confidence in braking.
    badnews89 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2011, 10:40 PM
    Most european cars like VW, Audi, Porsche, Saab, MB, BMW, have composite brake rotors. This type of rotor can NOT be turned and must be replaced every time pads are changed. Turning composite rotors damages the material causing a BIG hazard to the driver.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pee Pads [ 2 Answers ]

I just got a yorkie he is 9 weeks. My husband and I leave him for 8 hours when we go to work.We have a space gated off for him with toys,bed,water and his pee pad. He just starting eating his pee pad. I come home it's all over his gated area. What should I do?

Shoulder Pads? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I was wondering about the rules of shoulder pads lately. Of course I wore them with EVERYTHING in the early 90's, but then learned to accept my little shoulders. However, now I have a post-baby body. I am back to a 6, but my shoulders are narrow and droopy and with my new hips, I look silly in...

Not rotors or tie rods [ 2 Answers ]

wussup ladies and gentlemen. My vibation problem is still occurring. I have received sum good replies. At various speeds my car shakes. Sometimes it feels like its in the whole car. Could my problem be transmission mounts?

1999 Lincoln Town Car Brake Rotors [ 1 Answers ]

I know that the calipers have to be removed to pull the front rotors. Does the mounting bracket for the calipers also have to be removed?

Changing Break Pads [ 2 Answers ]

How do I change my break pads?

View more questions Search