Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Heather Cleveland Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Agency returned check as unacceptable
    I recently sent a payment to attempt to start paying on a medical debt. The collection agency returned it with a letter saying that it is an unacceptable partial payment that we must pay the balance in full or call them to make satisfactory payment arrangements. Isn't this refusal of payment to pay off debt?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 28, 2007, 11:31 AM
    You think you can get out if it on that basis? Sorry, but a creditor is within their rights to not accept a payment that is not agreed upon. There seems to be a myth circulating that as long as you pay something on a debt, that can forestall legal action. That's just a myth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Check Returned NSF, Did everything! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am from MO, I asked this question before on this board and got very helpful answers but I am now at a loss, Back in Dec, 2006, I paid a person's power bill via the internet as their power was going to be shut off, with the understanding that I was to be paid back in full ($160.00) in one...

Check Returned NSF [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am in the state of MO, back in Dec. of 2006 I paid a power bill from some out of state friends (they were going to have their power shut off), with the understanding the amount $160 would be paid in full in 1 months time, they did send me half the payment $80, and it took 5 months to...

Returned check [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine received a returned check from one of her customers back in Dec. 2005 and has tried to collect the money back from them. It has been over a year and she still hasn't gotten any money from them. The amount was like $85, I think. Can she still try to get the money or is it too late?...

Returned check after 90 days [ 2 Answers ]

I deposited a check from my old employer on 12/8/06. It was cleared and now 70 days later it is showing returned and there taking it back out of my checking. Is this legal? I thought there was a 30 day window for returns. Please Advise!

Returned check [ 1 Answers ]

In New York State what is the legal procedure to collect on a bad check? I was told you need to send a registered letter to give time to pay on check, and what if the person who gave the check never receives any notice ? What rights do they have?

View more questions Search