Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shane_C Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 10:47 AM
    Furnace trouble. Pilot lights. Burners light but then go out. Evetually stay on
    Hi all,

I searched through this site a bit and found some helpful topics, tried a few things and I'm still have the same trouble.

I have a Bryant furnace that uses a Johnson Controls G779LHA-1C Ignition Control. The ignition control is new, I just replaced it a week ago. It's hooked up so that it bypasses the need for a flame sensor but can also be set up to use one.

The furnace acts up in 2 ways.

1. My problem is that the pilot lights, stays on, and the burners light. All good. But after a matter of seconds the burners go out. Then the process repeats and eventually the burners stay lit and the blower comes on.

2. The other thing that happens is that the pilot lights, stays on, but for some reason the burners don't want to start. I get the click, click, click, click noise but they don't fire off. Just like problem 1, the burners eventually do start but this is after multiple attempts to get going.

What I've done so far to try and solve the problem.

I've cleaned everything. Pilot, Burners, and dusted / vacuumed the whole thing.
    I also replaced the ignition control after my neighbor looked at it (he used to work for a heating and cooling place as a repair man).

I was thinking that my next step would be to hook up a flame sensor and try to run it that way. I have a sensor but the wire isn't long enough to reach the ignition control.

Should I replace the wire with a long enough one and try to run the furnace with a flame sensor?

Any advice is appreciated, this has been a problem for weeks now and I'd like to get it fixed properly.

Thanks you
    juggallojed Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Nov 28, 2007, 05:36 PM
    Dissassemble the pilot assembly and clean it ,

The flame is yellow and lazy not touching the flame sencor,

Should be blue and strong

Or the flame sencor (the ground) is dirty.

Make sure the control is mounted with a proper ground , as this ground is the circuit for flame sencing.
    Shane_C Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 04:56 AM
    I worked on it last night and realized that the person that lived there before me had cut the wire from the flame sensor and spliced it to the pilot that had a sensor built in. I assume it has a sensor built in.

The furnace now works properly.

Thanks for the response juggallojed. When I have time to look at it again I might take the pilot apart to see where the sensor is and try cleaning it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier heating unit, we lit pilot but others burners will never light and so we have [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: We are freezing to ice cubes here, please someone help us with an answer. We lite the pilot on our Carrier system just as the instructions on the panel say to do, but when we turn it to on nothing happens. The blower blows cool air. The burners are not lighting inside. Last year...

My intertherm furnace pilot lights but furnace won't kick on [ 5 Answers ]

I need some diagnostic help. We have a full propane tank. A new burner plate (last year) and the blower works. We light the pilot but the knob should pop up after one minute thus lighting the furnace. It won't pop up. What part should we replace? The furnace is a 17 year old Intertherm MGH...

Burners won't light, or, stay lit [ 3 Answers ]

1'st time trying to turn heat on with new furnace-- hot surface ignition system -- burners don't light , or, stay lit -- can't tell which. Any special sequence needed to light? Any help appreciated

Floor furnace:trouble w/pilot light staying on [ 1 Answers ]

Floor furnace: we replaced the gas regulator and thermocouple of a floor furnace because the pilot light would not stay lit. After testing on-off numerous times at the thermostat, the furnace seemed to function correctly; we would hear a click, then the burners would go on. We thought it was...

Pilot Light of my furnace does not stay lit for longer [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, The pilot light of my furnace does not stay stay lit very long. I have been having this problem for a while. Last time it lasted only for 2 days and after that just went off. Things I have done to prevent that: 1. Changed the thermo couple (copper) (the coil is longer than needed or...

View more questions Search