Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 09:36 AM
    Ministry of Transportation & Political Correctness run amuck?
    “Sorrill, an ordained United Church minister, has personalized license plates that read "REV JO." But after almost 20 years, the Ministry of Transportation is revoking them over fears they encourage dangerous driving.

“Her displeasure was doubled when a ministry employee later told her on the phone that her revised idea for a plate, REVRNDJO, was also unsuitable, saying the ministry wanted to avoid any sign of bias toward Christianity over other religions.”

Is this a case of separation of Church and State?
    Or is it a case of government instituted Political Correctness run amuck?
    Or, a case of Religious Persecution?

TheStar.com | GTA | LUV UR PL8? 2BAD4U, cleric told
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 28, 2007, 09:56 AM
    I read this article today in the Toronto Star and didn't think anything of it one way or another. Ministry is saying exactly what it means, they think it promotes dangerous driving. Owing to what is happening on Ontario highways in the last few months, I would think anything we ca do, and the Ministry to, is perfectly suitable.

For those of you who don't know what is going on on our roads, there are now strict zero tolerance laws whereby anyone going 20 clicks over the posted speed limits, looses their licence and car for 30 days, and has to pay a $l0,000 fine. Many people have been caught on our 400 series highways in the last month, but driving on the 40l the other day, the warning signs aren't entirely working because I was almost sideswept by an erratic driver changing lanes at l40 clicks (probably faster) tryng to get ahead of everyone else on the road.
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    I read this article today in the Toronto Star and didnt think anything of it one way or another. Ministry is saying exactly what it means, they think it promotes dangerous driving. Owing to what is happening on Ontario highways in the last few months, I would think anything we ca do, and the Ministry to, is perfectly suitable.

For those of you who dont know what is going on on our roads, there are now strict zero tolerance laws whereby anyone going 20 clicks over the posted speed limits, looses their licence and car for 30 days, and has to pay a $l0,000 fine. Many people have been caught on our 400 series highways in the last month, but driving on the 40l the other day, the warning signs arent entirely working because I was almost sideswept by an erratic driver changing lanes at l40 clicks (probably faster) tryng to get ahead of everyone else on the road.
    Yeah, everyone knows that religious people are a menace on the highway.:p
    Expert

Nov 28, 2007, 10:09 AM
    That's the kind of answer I would expect from you, dark. As my post indicated, there is good reason the Ministry has taken that stance.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 10:21 AM
    From the article:

Personalized plates can be rejected for references to drugs, alcohol, religion, sex and racism, ministry spokesperson Bob Nichols said.
    Since their doctrine says plates can be rejected for references to religion, then they are within their rights to turn down the "REVRNDJO" plate. It's a little silly, in my opinion, but them's the rules.

I guess "REV JO" can be seen as promoting dangerous driving... and that WOULD go against the message the ministry is trying to send. Again, a little silly, but them's the rules.

So I think it's a little extreme and silly, and I can say I've never thought of vanity plates symbolizing government sanctioning of anything, but maybe those folks up in Toronto feel otherwise! :)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 10:44 AM
    Much ado about nothing.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 11:01 AM
    tickle

How does the ministry restricting what is on a vanity plate have any relevance to enforcing speed laws ?

I happen to think they are a stupid extra fee to pay... an extra tax for the vain;but heck , it isn't my money. How does having the plates promote wreckless driving ?

DC .

Now that I asked that let me say that a vanity plate that says OBL ROCKS !!! or SUBMIT TO ALLAH could cause problems on our highways . Maybe it is not the worse thing in the world to visit the logic of having any vanity plates at all.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    OBL ROCKS !!!
    Ohio Baseball League?

Old Black Ladies?

Operating Budget Ledger?

Orange Ball League?

:D

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

Here's more, including the one tom intended:
    OBL - What does OBL stand for? Acronyms and abbreviations by the Free Online Dictionary.
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    SUBMIT TO ALLAH
    Too long for a license plate.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Nov 28, 2007, 12:56 PM
    Over Bearing Landlords?

On Board Landing?

Obvious Bald Lies?

On Black Lights?

Over Board Life-preserver?

Observe By Light?

Out Beyond Limits?

More later if I can.
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 01:07 PM
    ETWolverine agrees: How about SBMT2ALA? Or perhaps JHD4ALA? Or KLL-D-JUS? Not all that hard to come up with a version that will fit on a vanity plate.
    All those are fine by me.
    Expert

Nov 28, 2007, 01:50 PM
    tomder55, this isn't my post I was clarifying it because I live around Toronto and there are just too many dead people on the highway these days from dangerous drivers in little cars. We do have our rules and the Ministry and our Police Department are trying to enforce them.

I don't know what the Ministry has in mind and I don't care about the license plate, but I can see their point as small as it may be. Who would guess the REV JO referred to to a minister of the cburch? It could mean REV THOSE ENGINES JO!! Probably what they are thinking. I guess every little bit helps to reduce the carnage and make better drivers out of all of us up here.

Nov 28, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    tomder55, this isnt my post i was clarifying it because i live around Toronto and there are just too many dead people on the highway these days from dangerous drivers in little cars. We do have our rules and the Ministry and our Police Department are trying to enforce them.

I dont know what the Ministry has in mind and I dont care about the license plate, but i can see their point as small as it may be. Who would guess the REV JO referred to to a minister of the cburch? It could mean REV THOSE ENGINES JO !!! Probably what they are thinking. I guess every little bit helps to reduce the carnage and make better drivers out of all of us up here.
    So what you are saying is that people in Canada are so irresponsible that they need the government to tell them how to drive, what to put in and on their cars, and what is acceptable behavior. And you are assuming that the government is right in its decisions of how to do so.

That's a scary thought, Tickle. The idea that there are actually people who really believe that government knows what is better for people than people do, and that this justifies government interference in an issue like vanity plates (a free speech issue), brings to mind images of both sheep and lemmings.

Elliot
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine
    That's a scary thought, Tickle. The idea that there are actually people who really believe that government knows what is better for people than people do, and that this justifies government interferance in an issue like vanity plates (a free speech issue), brings to mind images of both sheep and lemmings.
    Elliot
    LOL! Oh my god, that was the biggest laugh I've had in a while, coming from a US citizen who gets wiretapped and whose emails and web habits can be freely had by the gov.
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    LOL! Oh my god, that was the biggest laugh I've had in a while, coming from a US citizen who gets wiretapped and whose emails and web habits can be freely had by the gov.
    What’s a laugh is that this causes people to drive faster.

Nov 28, 2007, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    I haven't been wiretapped. I'm not a terrorist and I don't have communications with the Middle East all that often. And if I didn't want my e-mail habbits to be monitored (either by the government or by the moderators in this site), I'd stay off the internet. None of my rights have been infringed in any way, shape or form. Even if the government knows what I do and how I do it, I still choose how I act and what I do.

You, on the other hand, are inviting the government to monitor your driving habbits, determine what you may or may not do to the appearance of your car, and limit your freedom of expression.

Which of us is the lemming, Tickle? The one who has rights and can freely excersize them (even if the government knows about it), or the one who voluntarily gives those rights and freedoms up to the government?

Besides, think about what you are saying. The government is evil, it is trying to take our rights from us and spy on us, and the only way to protect ourselves on the road is to voluntarily give up our right of free expression to the government. Is that the argument you are making, because it sure sounds that way. Does it make any sense to you, because you've got me stumped on how to interpret these arguments when taken collectively.

Elliot
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 02:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine
    I haven't been wiretapped.
    You'd never know it if you were (or are). No warrant is required by your government.

Nov 28, 2007, 03:00 PM
    NK,

True. But even if I am being monitored, so what. It doesn't affect me at all. I have nothing to be guilty of. I haven't done anything that the government would waste its time worying about. So even if I am being wiretapped by some supercomputer (the supposed wiretaps and internet usage run through a supercomputer with a program that searches for certain key-words and then checks the context of those key-words to determine if the activity is suspicious) how does it affect my rights in any way, shape or form? Am I being kept from making my phone calls? Am I beiong kept from going n the internet? Have I been jailed for anything I have said or done over electronic or voice media? Even if the government knows about what I do, who cares if they aren't doing anything to infringe on my rights to do those things. My rights have NOT been limited in any way. Neither have anyone else's.

Elliot
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 03:07 PM
    So you don't mind if a policeman stop your car on the street for no reason and begins searching it then?

I guess we operate differently here.

BTW, for the record, I find that whole license plate issue to be stupid. Let the man have his plate, it encourages nothing.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 03:20 PM
    I don't know about you, DC, but I'm often encouraged to engage in "road racing" after reading a license plate. Really, you've got to be kidding me. It's nice to know religion is in the same category as drugs, alcohol, sex and racism in Canada.

Steve

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Political correctness. [ 39 Answers ]

Sometimes I really wonder about our society and Political correctness gone mad. Yesterday in Sydney , Australia one of the major shopping centres were conducting interviews for this years hoard of Santa Claus's. One of the rules for this year is Santa is not allowed to say" Ho Ho Ho" for fear it...

Decent English vs. Political Correctness [ 6 Answers ]

Today I heard the term "waitperson" used for someone who waits tables. I'm getting used to some of the Political Correct gender neutral terms, but this one sounded odd to me. If we nix waiter and waitress, shouldn't we nix actor and actress too? But then what? Actperson? I'm curious; Does...

Ignorant Anthropologists? Or Political Correctness? [ 15 Answers ]

I have great respect for the science of anthropology but recently I came across two representations which made me question both motives and the qualifications of those anthropologists who were involved. First, there was a documentary concerning the Taino Indians of the Caribbean. I began watching...

Is political correctness what it used to be? [ 5 Answers ]

Have we outgrown political correctness, or is it still with us? I get confusing readings from the media on this one. I remember that once upon a time, political correctness was being promoted because many people believe that removing hate speech from public dialogues woud keep the hate from...

Political correctness [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am curious as to why in this day and age when every word uttered publicly must be politically correct, (e.g. mailperson as opposed to mailman, and firefighter vis-à-vis fireman) first year college students are still called freshmen, as opposed to freshstudents, or freshpeople. Mark

View more questions Search