Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 08:26 AM
    .and they STILL don't get it!
    Even when it smacks 'em in the face! The cruise ship that sank in the Antarctic on Friday was a ship full of global warming environmentalists going to see for themselves just how bad global warming has gottn.
    Do you think they ran into problems anywhere remotely connected with global warming, over heating??

QUESTION IS whadda u think about the sink?

NOOOOO! They smacked into an ICEberg and now their carbon footprint is sitting in the bottom of the ocean!!

Rush called it right and he was joking only to find out his joke was for real!

I heard them polar bears ARE great swimmers too!

And Peta's head woman now wants to be barbqued when she dies!

And this one just right for all treehuggers

TreeHugger
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 08:36 AM
    Is it possible those chunks of ice were the result of cleaving from the ice shelf?

Possibly:
    gl017931 1..4

Field observations and RADARSAT imagery of the Ward Hunt Ice Shelf (lat. 83°N, long. 74°W), Nunavut,
    Canada, show that it broke in two over the period 2000 to 2002, with additional fissuring and further ice island calving.. . The recent collapse of ice shelves in West Antarctica has been interpreted as evidence of accelerated climate change in that region. Similarly, the inferred thinning and observed fragmentation of the ice shelf, plus the drainage of the epishelf lake, are additional evidence for climate change in the High Arctic.
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 08:47 AM
    I guess I'll have to use my carbon footprints to go on down to the South Pole and ask some penguins about that!
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 08:48 AM
    I'll stick with my comments from the discussion board for now

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/member...et-156770.html

When I went to Alaska this year there was this glacier that went right to the edge of a bay. It was trying hard to expand but every time it did a piece of it would fall into the bay . Got some great pictures of that .It must have happened at least 2 dozen times while we were there .

WE could get no closer than 1/2 mile from the glacier buit still it sounded like cannon explosions . The smaller chunks that fell were larger than a house. The guide explained to us that these glaciers are like rivers and that it was common for pieces to break off .

I have to really question the competence or judgement of the crew of the ship that sunk . Clearly that type of environment is not suitable for a pleasure cruise and the necessary precautions should've been in place.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 09:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    I have to really question the competence or judgement of the crew of the ship that sunk . Clearly that type of environment is not suitable for a pleasure cruise and the necessary precautions should've been in place.
    Actually, several cruise companies run pleasure cruises to that region; Azamara (owned by Royal Caribbean, ships hold about 700 guests), Celebrity (100 guests), Orient (830 guests) and Regent (200 guests). Some of the lines with larger capacity (several thousand) are considering expanding into the region because it's such a unique environment and an untapped market. Researchers and crews in the region have expressed concern because they don't have the ability to rescue a few thousand people (or maybe several hundred) if something goes wrong. I'd love to travel to Antarctica; it's the least visited place in the world and one of the few unspoiled environments left on the planet. BUT I don't want to be stuck on a sinking ship to do it! :)

Oh, and N0help, the higher-ups in PETA are chock-full of inconsistencies with their message; one of the heads of the organization (I don't remember her name) is diabetic and insulin dependent - a therapy developed developed using animal research. I know that's a bit off topic from your OP, but the fact that she wants to "be barbecued" as you put it, doesn't surprise me at all! I could go on and on about the evils of PETA, but that's for another thread! :)
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 10:01 AM
    I agree about PETA and many of the environmentalist organizations not walking their talk.
    Look at Gore and his carbon footprint if he were so concerned why is he one of the #1 contributors? Or Jesse Jackson and Al F.
    Years ago one of the head woman at PETA (don't know if it was the same one) said she would rather see her own son die than a defenseless animal.

I can't wait until PETA has another rally in Oakland, PA so I can wear my
    Attached Images

speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 10:50 AM
    Nope, the irony always escapes them. By the way, for the second year in a row, drastic hurricane predictions for the U.S. were... way wrong.

U.S. All but Spared by Hurricanes

By JESSICA GRESKO – 15 hours ago

MIAMI (AP) — Despite alarming predictions, the U.S. came through a second straight hurricane season virtually unscathed, raising fears among emergency planners that they will be fighting public apathy and overconfidence when they warn people to prepare for next year.
    I keep wondering, if they can't get a prediction for the current season right what makes them think they can guess what's going to happen in 20 years?

Steve
    P.S...
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 06:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Nope, the irony always escapes them. By the way, for the second year in a row, drastic hurricane predictions for the U.S. were ... way wrong.

I keep wondering, if they can't get a prediction for the current season right what makes them think they can guess what's going to happen in 20 years?

Steve
    P.S...

Exactly! Thanks-- I meant to mention irony :D

Also the thing with the 20 years is they can't lose either way cause if IT happens they say,
    "SEE we told you so!!!" AND IF IT D0ESN'T happen then they can say, "See all our efforts paid off and we managed to fight the global warming!!!"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search