Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aunt M Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Aunt seeking custody of her sister's kids
    I have two very young nieces, 3 and soon to be 2. They are great kids born to a terrible mother and father. The mother and father are not together anymore and were never married, but they use the kids in their terrible games. They have full contact arguments. The last one was in front of the kids and ended up with him in jail and under house arrest. They are both drug users. My sister recently stole money from our mother (over a thousand dollars) and is now in a mental hospital under suicide watch. I know my mother would love to take the girls, but she is a recent widow and needs to work just to pay the house payment. If she were to get custody of the girls she would be paying child care and end up losing the house. I want to know if I would have a case to take to court and gain custody of those two innocent little girls. They live in Michigan and I recently moved to Wisconsin. I have two kids of my own with my husband of 15 years.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Is there any way you can try to convince them so they would willingly let you adopt them? That would be better than going through the court to try and take them away.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 29, 2008, 07:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt M
    I have two very young nieces, 3 and soon to be 2. They are great kids born to a terrible mother and father. The mother and father are not together anymore and were never married, but they use the kids in their terrible games. They have full contact arguments. The last one was in front of the kids and ended up with him in jail and under house arrest. They are both drug users. My sister recently stole money from our mother (over a thousand dollars) and is now in a mental hospital under suicide watch. I know my mother would love to take the girls, but she is a recent widow and needs to work just to pay the house payment. If she were to get custody of the girls she would be paying child care and end up losing the house. I want to know if I would have a case to take to court and gain custody of those two innocent little girls. They live in Michigan and I recently moved to Wisconsin. I have two kids of my own with my husband of 15 years.
    Your chances may be good if the courts will remove the children and appoint you guardian until a hearing can be set to determine the fitness of the parents. I would say to try the route of foster parents but Im not sure you can do that from one state to another. You seem to have stability etc in your favor. Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to know how to get custody of my nephew from an unfit aunt? [ 3 Answers ]

My brother had a son by a lady, that died 4years ago, her sister has guardenship, because the mother had the baby in prison( brother didn't know about the baby then). The mother got out jail got herself together, and the kid moved back in with the mother. Mother never got guardenship back from...

How can I gain custody of my deceased sister's twin girls? [ 6 Answers ]

October 31, 2003 my baby sister passed away (heart attack in her sleep 5'10" 118lbs). She was a resident of Illinois when she passed away and I live in Indianapolis Indiana. After her passing the girls lived with me and my family (consists of my mom, my twin girls and my son). Upon a visit to...

Uncle and Aunt want legal custody of niece [ 2 Answers ]

My 14 year old grandaughter has been living with my son and daughter-in-law in Florida for the past 4 months. (she lived with me for the 2 months proceeding that) both her mother and father signed papers (not through a court) giving my son guardianship. He is in the Navy and wants to get her on...

Seeking Custody [ 10 Answers ]

I'm posting the following for my husband: What is the name of your state? Illinois I'm dealing with some issues with my ex. We are due in court on the 11th of July, she has filed for an increase in child support and she wants me to pay full medical insurance and 100% of medical bills that...

How can my aunt gain custody of me? [ 3 Answers ]

:) Hi, my name is Tasha and I am 14 years old. My life at home isn't so good.My aunt has invited me to come live with her in Houston Texas. What are the steps for her to gain custody of me? Also how would I go about getting a student visa ?

View more questions Search