Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maeg0208 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 10:08 PM
    LPN career
    I would like to know how long of school I would need to become a LPN, and if that is done in a regular college or trade school. Also, how much money can a licensed practical nurse look forward to making and if the job is even in demand. Any information on lpn would be a great help.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Nov 28, 2007, 04:05 AM
    Here are a couple of resources that will be helpful to you:

Licensed practical and licensed vocational nurses

Summary Report

Vasily
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 28, 2007, 05:23 AM
    It takes about 18 months to get your LPN license, you can get it from most trade or technical schools.

Most LPNs only make about 10 - 12 dollars at the most. I am in no way trying to cut down the profession, as I am going to be an RN rather than an LPN, but I can tell you that I would not want the job. The LPNs in the hospital are extremely limited in what they can do compared to the RN.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 06:23 AM
    Echoes what J said - in many hospitals the LPN is just half a step above the CNA. I have worked with some LPNs who went back for another two years to become an RN and they never regretted that decision. It wasn't just for financial reasons but for professional development and job advancement.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 28, 2007, 12:36 PM
    I ditto what Shy said above. In the hospitals I work in the LPNs and CNAs are there to bathe the patients, change "diapers," change linens and do basically whatever the RNs don't have time for.

In the hospital setting, basically the LPNs and CNAs do all the scut work. Now, however, in nursing homes and in doctor's offices they have many more responsibilities.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Career help. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I'm junior at the University.and my subjects are Psychology,marketing,economics,accounting.I want to bean administrative manager.I need guidance like what major should I take? Like should I go in to Finance, Marketing or etc? Thanks.

Different career [ 10 Answers ]

What different between a physician or licensed nurse?

IT career [ 4 Answers ]

How would you go about starting a career working in help desk ? What is the starting salary? How long does it take to move between levels?

Career help [ 3 Answers ]

I'm working as a support executive. I want to know how is the career growth in this field. Please reply

View more questions Search