Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JustTalking Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Hipaa violation
    If someone repeates a rumor they heard about someone's medical condition, is this a hipaa violation? And can the person repeating that rumor be sued for slander?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 27, 2007, 06:38 PM
    No. A violation occurs when someone working in a health care facility providing care for an individual reveals information about the treatment. The person who was the source of the rumor might be guilty of a violation, but not someone spreading the rumor.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 27, 2007, 06:40 PM
    Not unless they got that information from your private medical documents.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 27, 2007, 07:52 PM
    No that is called being a gosip and against the Ten Commandments but not against mans law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA Violation? [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a federal lawsuit against my employer for discrimination in which I am currently awaiting the summary judgement. Several weeks ago I got hurt not at my place of work but while I was at home. My doctor originally informed me that I could not return to work, and that he would not...

Possible HIPAA violation? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, Hope someone can help me determine whether this is a HIPAA violation or not. I was treated in a specialty clinic recently. At the time of checkout I had forgotten to bring money with me for the co-pay. Two other patients were waiting behind me and heard the finance person lecture me...

HIPAA violation [ 1 Answers ]

My grandmother lives at an assistant living facility. A nurse came into the dining room and changed her medicine patch at the table. Is this a violation of the HIPAA privacy regulations?

HIPAA Violation? [ 7 Answers ]

My Mom works for a home health agency. When she did home visits, she became good friends with one of her patients and his wife. She now does chart review in the office. While reviewing charts, she saw a note in "Bob's" chart that his caretaker (wife) had unexpectedly died. She is also friends with...

HIPAA violation? [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of trying to have an insurance claim from a motorcyle wreck last summer taken care of by my insurance company. I was asked to send in a copy of the letter of denial from the auto insurance company so they could proceed with the claim. I sent in the letter, and received a call...

View more questions Search