Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reedjane Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2003, 04:07 AM
    Sourdough
    How can I prevent my sourdough bread from dropping about a third when I bake it. TY Reed
    Cele Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2003, 11:37 AM
    sourdough
    Are you using the exact ingredients that the recipy asks for? also do not open the oven while the bread is rising, set a timer and only open when it's done or half way through the baking. When you remove it from the oven, place the bread on top of the stove for about 10 minutes or until it cools, and never place it near a window. Good luck with your next bread.
    reedjane Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2003, 12:46 PM
    sourdough
    Thanks for your input. Sadly I follow all the rules you articulated. Oh Well; who said baking is easy!
    Regards Reed
    lshadylady Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jul 4, 2009, 09:18 AM

How can I prevent my sourdough bread from dropping about a third when I bake it. TY Reed

Try cutting back on the salt. Maybe to half what the recipe calls for.
    Do you make your own starter? If so, I would start a new batch and keep it longer before the first use and be sure it bubbles up nicely and smells like sourdough, sweet and yeasty sourdough.

Do you use yeast in addition to the starter?

Do you use a breadmaker? SS

Jul 4, 2009, 09:24 AM
    Happy 4th! Keep us independent! Ss
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

Jul 11, 2009, 04:35 AM

I have found it easy to make my sourdough by calling my mother in law and requesting she make it. Y-U-M-M-Y!

Jul 11, 2009, 06:07 PM
    Hi; I am the Mother-in-Law that gets asked. I don't mind at all either. It gives me a feeling of pride to be able to do something like that that most people are hesitant to try. I just don't tell when it fails. (Ha)

Jul 13, 2009, 07:37 PM

Hi TY; I was looking at my bread book and thought of you. After several questions it asked and made suggestions I found one or two suggestions for you. If you use a bread machine, set it for just the dough. When it is done take it out and shape it and put into the bread pan, and let it rise outside the breadmaker and bake it in the oven. I have never had sourdough fall, but I have had others fall, just plain white bread and my wheat bread. It can be from too much salt, too little sugar, too much liquid, or too dry. Mine was from too much yeast. Most modern sourdough recipes call for extra yeast added in addition to the sourdough starter. So I was thinking maybe your starter is strong enough without the extra yeast. I don't think they used extra yeast in the old days, but they might have. It's something to try anyway. SS

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search