Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EOS Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Nov 27, 2007, 02:39 PM
    Switch Wiring
    Background: Living room has one light and one single switch that controls it.

We installed a ceiling fan in the living room in addition to the light. We also bought a dual switch thinking we could use that for both the fan and light.

When we looked at the single switch, it has both the black and white connected to it. We were expecting to see 2 whites tied together and 2 blacks connected to the switch.

Now we are stuck on how to wire the new ceiling fan with the Dual switch. Any ideas?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2007, 07:54 PM
    If you only have two wires at your switch, you cannot use a dual switch that requires 3 wires.
    Cobraguy Posts: 140, Reputation: 11

Nov 28, 2007, 06:04 AM
    What you have is a switch loop. The power for the light is at the fixture. They just run a loop from the hot lead at the fixture to the switch. In this case, the white is actually a hot conductor. To control your new fan, you will need to supply power (from the existing light maybe?) and wire your switches from there. Or use wireless control.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 06:29 AM
    You could use a wireless kit from someplace like Home Depot. You won't be able to use your switch. You will be able to have separate light and fan control.
    Update:
    Sorry Cobra, just saw your mention of remote. Take Care
    EOS Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Nov 28, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Thank you for your responses! I'll look into the wireless solution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring from switch to light [ 2 Answers ]

I want to wire a switch from the switch to the light. There is a 12/2 wire from the breaker to the switch. How do I wire this to the switch and then wire the light which has a 14/2 running from the switch box to the light box. The wires are run, but not connected each has a green, black and white...

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

Old wiring of single switch [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have a single pole switch with a black wire and red wire coming into the box and forgot to mark them. I have lost power from the switch. How should the switch be hooked up? Does anybody know how I should do this I need help asap Thanks.

3-way switch wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble wiring a 3way light system. I am looking to run two lights from both ends of the switches. My explanation is I had a single light & switch at the top of stairs and a single light & switch at the bottom of stairs. I have ran 12-3 wires between switchs but not sure how to wire...

Dimer switch wiring? [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a single pole switch with a new dimer switch. On the dimer there are four wires, rerd-black-blue and the ground. Where are all these wires connecting to. Jeff

View more questions Search