Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swapwap Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Dec 3, 2005, 06:38 PM
    Credit card problms
    What is the name of your state? Georgia

I have three credit card companys that I have had credit cards with for a few years. Recently I got into a situation where I was late on my payments, about 45 days. All three creditors jumped from about 10-12% to nearly 30% + fees, this increase made my minimum payments significantly higher, by about 60%. I have tried to work with the creditors, but they are unwilling to lower my rates for at least 6 months before they even consider it. This is causing my substantial cash flow problems. I am barely able to pay house, utilities, exc. I am concerned. The credit card companies tell me they will take legal acion if I am unable to pay these debts. What can they do, sue me? Can they have a judgement placed against me and garnish my wages? Do I have to declair chapter 7 or 13 is I can't pay this debt? What can I do?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2005, 07:02 PM
    Credit card
    Contact them, tell them of our problems, ask for lower rate and payment, check with your local COnsumer credit people. CCC.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 3, 2005, 08:09 PM
    Yes do what mr. yet says. If they don't work dude then you just have to get a couple more jobs until you pay off that debt and be careful about how and what you spend.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2005, 05:04 AM
    Credit Cards
    Hi,
    Many, many people are in the same "boat" with credit cards. Here is a suggestion, just to think about.
    Get a new credit card, with a different company. You can "shop around" on the web or even ask friends what cards they have.
    Then, find a new company who will let you "consolidate" all your debts with the other credit card companies. In other words, your new credit card company will pay off all your other debt, put it on your new credit card, and in most cases, will not charge you any interest for at least 6 mo. This is being offered by many companies now, to get you as a customer. You can ask the new company, calling by phone with a Customer Service Representative, if they will offer that to you.
    You will still owe the money, but at least, the three credit cards will be paid off, getting their "collectors" off your back, and give you 6 mo. Or so, to do some thinking about how to pay off the one credit card. The ones you have now will probably NOT want to talk about "giving you a break" cause they do want their money.
    I do wish you the best.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 4, 2005, 06:28 AM
    Credit cards
    Yes they may sue you, and garnish your wages.

Also with the changes in bankruptcy laws getting out of credit card debt is not as easy as it used to be. The rules of allowed debts has changed a lot over the last few months in favor of lenders.

Normally they will send the debt to a collection agency first ( which is often not a bad thing since your credit at this point is most likely trashed anyway by all the late payemnts)

But many of the credit counseling places will help a lot, but you have to make those payments on time or it will only get worst too.
    jackierf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Can creditos garnish wages for credit card debts?
    margarita_momma Posts: 299, Reputation: 46

Dec 19, 2007, 01:38 PM
    I got into a mess with my credit cards too not to long ago. What I did really changed my money problems. I called the company and explained to them that I had recently went through a divorce and that I was short on money to pay all my bills. The first person I talked to was a real jerk and told me there was nothing they could do for me because my balance was too high. I then told him I wanted to close my card. He connected me with the closing department. I spoke with a really nice woman and she suggested instead of closing my account that I get on their hardship program. My payments went from $200 a month with an interest rate of 26% on one of my cards to $140 a month with a rate of 13%. They set me up on the plan for the next year and the amount is automatically debited from my checking account so I am never late. It is worth looking into. Good luck
    margarita_momma Posts: 299, Reputation: 46

Dec 19, 2007, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jackierf
    can creditos garnish wages for credit card debts?
    They can if they take you to court and win.

Dec 19, 2007, 03:50 PM
    Jackierf. If you do go to court, don't bow down and just let them win. That is what they want to do. Fight them. There are different groups and services out there can can support you and help you do this. Some recommend attorneys. I however see them as part of the problem, just wanting their lions share of the money. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's a real civics lesson and trust me, you will find out ho many rights you really have and how to use them. The truth is you have no more rights than you are educated on...

Dec 19, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Forgot to add. They can only garnish your wages with a judgment and within in a state that lets them do such. Not all states allow these jerks to garnish you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card law suit [ 3 Answers ]

I lost a substantial % of my income for approximately 7 months. It will be restored in March 06. Amex, however is demanding payment in full, and wish to proceed to collection and possibly law suit. They say there's no room for leniency. I know I owe them money and have offered to pay a smaller...

When Paying Off Credit Card.. [ 6 Answers ]

Can I bargain when paying off credit card w/out damaging my credit? I currently hold a balance of $5000 each on two separate cards. $2000 each of which is actually purchase fees, the rest is accrued interest. Can I bargain with the cardholders to pay a lower amount without hurting my credit? Any...

Credit card [ 2 Answers ]

Why would a credit card company offer to take a settlement of $4,700 on a debt of $29,000?

I Need Credit Card [ 2 Answers ]

I Need Credit Card To Purchase Some Books

Credit card mess [ 5 Answers ]

I am over my head in credit card bills. So many companies are advertising about debt consolidation and debt settlement companies. Could someone help me decide which way to go. I am never late on my payments because sometime I use one card to pay another. I like the settlement plan because they...

View more questions Search