Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hipncash Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 12:34 PM
    Countersuit FDCPA Violations Settlement Amounts Small Claims
    How does one go about coming up with the correct dollar amount of a countersuit against a debt collector? Apparently the FDCPA states one can file a lawsuit for up to $500,000.00 in small claims. If one legitimately has a case how does one go about making sure the debt collector pays for the full amount of their violations if found guilty.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2007, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hipncash
    how does one go about making sure the debt collector pays for the full amount of their violations if found guilty.
    Hello hip:

By hiring a very good lawyer.

excon

PS> The fact of the matter is, you're NEVER going to win a lawsuit against these people. The first and foremost reason is that you will need a LOT of cash up front - and I mean a LOT. This will be a FEDERAL lawsuit (NOT small claims), and it takes a very expensive attorney to fight it. Plus, the damages you cite are the maximum amount that can be awarded. YOUR damages will based upon the exact amount of money that the collectors wrongful act cost you. How much would that be?? Nothing?? I thought so.

Believe me, I'm on your side. I hate collection agency scumbags too, but suing them is NOT the way to stop them.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hipncash
    How does one go about coming up with the correct dollar amount of a countersuit against a debt collector? Apparently the FDCPA states one can file a lawsuit for up to $500,000.00 in small claims. If one legitimately has a case how does one go about making sure the debt collector pays for the full amount of their violations if found guilty.

No Small Claims Court has a jurisdiction of $500,000 - this would be a Federal action. Keep in mind that the debt collector has Attorneys either on staff or retainer and you would have to hire one; difficult case to prove and/or win and very, very expensive.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 29, 2007, 09:21 AM
    I agree with excon and Judy. It will be very hard to show material damages.

By the way I read the letter. Frankly I think its too much legalese. They are going to think you got it off a website and don't really understand all of it. I think it should have been simpler, but it will do what you want.

Nov 29, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Thank you again Scott. The letter you read states that they must provide documentation within 21 days. If this specific documentation is not provided by then on the 22nd day would it be appropriate to file a dismissal with prejudice? You are an awesome person my friend! : )

Nov 29, 2007, 11:06 AM
    I have the original and only document that they sent me. It violates 5 aspects of the FDCPA in and of itself. I feel I have the documentation and ability to come to victory with this. I will keep all of you posted. Thank you all again for your advice. It is much appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fdcpa violations [ 3 Answers ]

I've been reading (mostly Mr. Yet's) answers re. Fair Debt Collections, and I've read the Act itself. I don't speak legalese, though. Is there any law that requires a collections agency to justify charging interest at a rate higher than the legal limit? Does obtaining a default judgement without...

How do I sue a collection agency for violations of FDCPA? [ 2 Answers ]

Here's my situation in a nutshell: I am being sued by a CA through a local lawyer for a debt that I do owe. I have sought validation of the debt through the CA and also from the lawyer that they had contact me, as well as several other lawyers that they had contact me in the last year. All...

Small claims [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know if there is a statue of limitations as far as small claims is concerned? From 2002 to 2006 off and on I was sending my now ex boyfriend money to stay in a hotel and supposedly money for us a place. I was to join him. But that did not happen. So is it to late to file? I can prove the...

Small Claims [ 2 Answers ]

I am being sued for a debt. The debt is just in my name not my husbands can they garnish his wages. (I am a stay at home mom). I know they can go after bank accounts but our account is just in my husbands name. Can they go after the account if it is not in my name?

Small claims [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to sue someone in small claims court... he is a German man... he has lived in America for many years... speaks English well... his wife is telling me I must pay for an interrupter as English isn't his native language... he has got a drivers license in the us.. as well as has got a...

View more questions Search