Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kathy Hodge Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 11:42 AM
    Green mold outside on brick of house
    There is a band of greenish looking mold on the perimeter of the brick on the front of my house. It is about 12 to 18 inches in height. Any idea?
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Nov 27, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Could it be moss? Moss can grow on damp bricks or cement?
    Flytrap Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 12:11 PM
    Jack is right. It's probably a moss or fungus. Do you have a sprinkler system that fires at that height. If not it is probably a rising damp problem and you will have to get an expert in.
    jay_w_r Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2009, 09:07 AM
    Moss Generally grows on the north side. Examin your house to see which side the green stuff is .If its on the north side ,then it's the beginning growth of moss. I had that same problem and used a pressure washer to spray it right off the brick ,and I have to do that annually
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2009, 02:06 PM

For any green algae or moss problem I don't use a pressure washer (too damaging). I use regular dish soap (about 1/2 cup) and one cup of chlorine bleach to a big bucket of water. I use a long handled brush and gently scrub the surface. Then I rinse with clean water from the hose. Repeat if necessary. Pressure washing can definitely damage the mortar holding the bricks. That can be expensive to repair.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing Brick [ 1 Answers ]

How much is the usual cost to remove existing brick?

Pressure wash guy turn house green [ 1 Answers ]

I have a home with hardiplank siding. Hired a guy to pressure wash the house and he used bleach and changed it green. I was wondering what I the proper way to repaint the house. Does it need to be recaulked and sealed again or can it be just primed and repainted?

Mold in cinder block house. [ 4 Answers ]

I hope I am posting in the right place. I am an American living in Bucharest Romania. We rent a house.. a very old house with a small basement that we do not use. It is very musty and probably moldy... but I have never ventured that far. My husband has been down there and it is empty except for...

Mold Under the eavs around the house [ 1 Answers ]

Since all the strong rains we had this last rainy season I have been noticing A lot of deffernt tan or blackish looking stains under the eavs.I hope wood rot Or mold is not starting. Does any one know how to prevent these type of problems?I was thinking May be bleach but I am not sure if that...

View more questions Search