Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zenalyn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 11:15 AM
    Religious marriage
    I get married on May 18th 2007 in Chicago, Illinois. Our marriage ceremony was conducted in front of family and friends and the religious rites were performed by an Algerian priest in Chicago, without performing a civil marriage in USA. My question can I register my marriage with the document from the priest and the signature of all the witnesses.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Nov 27, 2007, 11:29 AM
    The only way a marriage in the USA can be legal before the government is if you applied for a marriage license through a local courthouse and return it for certification after completing its requirements.
    Illinois Marriage License Information
    Your marriage license from the state is meant to be signed by husband/wife, conductor of the ceremony and witnesses. If this is the document you have, it should be submitted back to make it official.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 27, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Zenlayn,

Was the Algerian Priest acting on behalf of a church in the Chicago area. Was the priest a Catholic Priest or of another denomination?

Normally, if the priest is assigned to a local parish of the Catholic Church, his marrying you is the same as if you were married by the stat. The State recognizes marriages from within a faith community as long as the that community is a legimate faith.

I have no idea what the State of Illinois uses to certify faith communities, but a simple phone call to the local government offices will take care of that for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inter-religious marriage [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am basically a Hindu. I have converted into a Christian for my marriage. Yes, my wife is catholic. We have married before 3 years. We have a kid. He is one and a half years old. My question is : Is there any problem creep later by our inter-religion marriage? But we married under...

Marriage and Religious Differences [ 7 Answers ]

Ok I should start from the beginning. My husband and me have been married for almost 8 years now. When we got married we both produced the same beliefs. Then about 5 yrs ago he went to work for a man of different beliefs. My husband got sucked in with some of the things that where said. He is now a...

Religious mystery [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone help me to understand what is really religious mysteries?

Bi religious marriages. [ 8 Answers ]

I am a Christian guy from the UK working in Pakistan. I have met a Muslim girl and we have fallen in love and would like to get married. Is this possible in Pakistan?

Religious Mystery [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for a movie with the following actors: Robert Di Niro, Robert Divall, Charles Durney. It was a Catholic theme movie that had mystery and complications. I think the movie was made around 1980. I can't seem to remember the title though.? Please reply asap if you have any info that...

View more questions Search