Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taylorsinconroe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 10:23 AM
    Won't boot
    The fans work. I found a loose memory module and smelled an electrical burning smell. CPU will not process floppies or cds. Monitor lights up but has no display.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2007, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorsinconroe
    The fans work. I found a loose memory module and smelled an electrical burning smell. CPU will not process floppies or cds. Monitor lights up but has no display.
    Can you locate the source of the burning smell - just follow your nose. Even if it has been a while, the component which burnt may still be giving off a burnt aroma.

My initial suspicion, knowing nothing else other than what you posted, is that the problem may be the power supply. Even if the fans work, the power supply has a number of different voltage outputs, and all it takes is for one of these to malfunction and your computer can be non-functional.
    taylorsinconroe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2007, 05:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3
    Can you locate the source of the burning smell - just follow your nose. Even if it has been a while, the component which burnt may still be giving off a burnt aroma.

My initial suspicion, knowing nothing else other than what you posted, is that the problem may be the power supply. Even if the fans work, the power supply has a number of different voltage outputs, and all it takes is for one of these to malfunction and your computer can be non-functional.
    Installed new power supply but no cigar. Ny guess is mobo? Whacha think?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cannot boot from CD [ 5 Answers ]

I have a bunch of spyware that no program I've tried can get rid of, so I've decided to start from scratch and format. As I understand it I need to boot from my XP cd to do this, here's the problem. The CD-ROM drive that the computer came with is stuck, it turns out. There's an audio CD in it...

Boot [ 2 Answers ]

My PC HP Compaq dx 6120 which has windows xp professional operating system does not start up or boot.When I dried to boot it beeps and followed by red light indicate at the right side near the start burton.How can I solve these problem? In Addition the beeps occur 25 times(five times then pauses...

Boot linux from an external hard drive dual boot? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I boot linex from an external hard drive dual boot. How do I do it ?

Won't boot from CD-R [ 9 Answers ]

My computer is a dell 5100 inspiron. It has a cd-r/w dvd-rom combo drive (HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4241N). I can't boot from a cd-r,regular cds are fine, also I get the same thing in windows. I did firmware update and bios update. I have run out of ideas. PLEASE HELP!!

Can't see my p.c boot up [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I can't see my computor boot up until it reach's the log in window for windows xp. And then the moniter turns on. i.e I can't get into the bios because I can't see anything. I've installed the correct graphics card driver... Any ideas? :cool:

View more questions Search