Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frohme Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2005, 10:21 AM
    Rough wiring question
    I have been remodeling my basement, and am about to run the wiring for the outlets. Should the wire run above the outlets (standard height of 12” I believe) and come down to the box. Or, should the wire run below the boxes and come up to the box?

Thanks

Scott
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2005, 11:23 AM
    Not sure what code says, but I would run the feed across the top of the wall out of harms way and down to each outlet. Maybe I have had too many Labs in the house for too long, but I like to make wires as inaccessible as possible. Run the wires down near the outlets, and they will be in the way of shelves or anything you hang on the wall.
    frohme Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2005, 01:13 PM
    Thanks for your response.

These wires will be in the wall covered with drywall.

Scott
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Dec 3, 2005, 03:24 PM
    I usually run the wires around 12" above were the outlets will be. Its just a more comfortable working height when your drilling through the studs and pulling wire and also around 8" from the box you should secure the wire(s). As far as box height, a lot of electricians use their hammer as a height gauge to the bottom of the box.
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Dec 8, 2005, 05:59 AM
    Ski beat me to the punch. Run them above. Two reasons for this. First Base molding needs to be nailed in. While normally the small finish nails will not puncture far enough (the 1/2 rock and base trim will take most of it) it is better safe then sorry. But second, and honestly the more practical reason, is easier to brace a D-handle drill to ones hip and drill a straight series of lines across the wall. Now in basement finishes the wall is often frames several inches away from the foundation, it is possible to run the wire behind the studs. This, however, makes it tricky to fasten the wire. And he is dead on with the height. Don't worry about height of the boxes. Use a hammer that is 12 or 13 inches and use it to hold the box in position then to nail it up. A standard light estwing hammer is about 13 inches. As long as the boxes are the same height it is not critical. Be sure to use the same hammer for all the outlet boxes. And as ski said make sure every wire is staples within 8 inches of the box.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rough in Basement Plumbing Question [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I had my basement roughed in for a shower, toilet and sink. The pipe for the toilet sticks out of the concrete and is 12" from finished wall. There is a 2" PVC pipe behind the toilet that will be located within my framework. I am guessing this is the vent for the toilet and also a wet...

Rough in question... [ 1 Answers ]

Tom, A while back I asked you about a bathroom rough in. Plans have changed again since then. This is what I currently roughed in: I have a 4" line coming in from my back yard straight to the toilet, which is set on the exterior wall, (so the 4" line only comes into the house 12 inches) ...

Basement rough in question, Newbie [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am new to this forum so be gentle. I have read through many of the threads. I have a question on basement rough ins. I purchased a new house and the builder provided rough ins for a bathroom and a wet bar. My question is what I need to hook up. I want to do it myself, not sure if I...

Adding a shower to half bath*rough-in question [ 24 Answers ]

Here's the deal... I am going to be adding a shower to an existing 1/2 bath in my basement. The toilet is vented up out of the slab on the other side of the wall,in my utility closet, makes about a 4' run into another wall where it ties into the lav. /washing machines' drain. the lav./washing...

Tub rough in question in unfinished basement [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 questions regarding my rough in for the tub in my unfinished basement. My first question regards the p-trap for the tub. This house was built in 2001. Is it common for the p-trap to be put in when they do the rough-in? I don't know whether to add the p-trap. A few pictures: 1st is a...

View more questions Search