Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juaco_aaron Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Is Google a monopolistic competitor or an oligopoly?
    Is Google a MONOPOLISTIC COMPETITOR or an OLIGOPOLY?

I have looked and studied the characteristics of both and it seems to fit in both...

PLEASE HELP!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2007, 03:11 PM
    Have you researched the definitions of both those words? If you have then you'd know the answer.

Hint: Google is not the only player in their market.

Nov 26, 2007, 03:19 PM
    I have! Monopolistic Competition is a market in which many firms produce similar goods or services, but each maintains some independent control of its own price (if it's profitable)... but that "many" is between the "few" of oligopolies and the "hordes" perfect competitors...

Oligopoly is a market in which a FEW firms produce all or most of the market supply of a particular good or service...

And yeah, Google is not the only player in their market so first I thought it was a Monopolistic competitor.. buth then I saw that, for Oligopolies there are high barriers to entry, and for Monopolistic competitors the barriers are low... that confuses me because to enter a market and be a competitor of Google isn't easy...

Nov 26, 2007, 03:28 PM
    Oligopoly
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2007, 03:43 PM
    :)
    salmankhan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 10:43 AM
    It has a close substiute therfore it can be consider as monopoly it may be Oligopoly
    Youngy22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2010, 06:44 AM
    It is actually both, and it is possible to be both. Its general services of being a Search engine make it oligopolistic(and with 4 companies taking up the major of this market) however it offers some services that no one else provides and has full control over these make it monopolistic

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monopoly power [ 1 Answers ]

What is the significance of monopoly power?

Monopoly market [ 2 Answers ]

What is monopoly

What is Monopoly [ 2 Answers ]

What is monopoly? Is it possible that a monopolist charges any price for a product? Give reasons for your answer.

Monopoly [ 5 Answers ]

Hello experts: You played Monopoly when you were a kid. You knew the rules too. Of course you did. And, Monopoly is just a game. Why do you think that adults, who are playing REAL LIFE Monopoly as landlords, don't bother to learn the rules? excon

View more questions Search