Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cheeree325 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Nov 26, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Dental Assisting
    I recently graduated from dental assisting school. It was a very short program, 71 days to be exact. I learned everything, just compacted. I did graduate with a 4.0. But, now, I haven't been able to find a job for awhile and I don't have much confidence in myself because of the time lapse. Would a dentist fire me for being "rusty"?
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Nov 26, 2007, 03:50 PM
    Here's a US Department of Labor Page on Dental Assistants:

Dental assistants

If you're looking to practice in the USA, note that it states that DANB certification is required or recognized in more than 30 states. It sounds like you would have taken a certification exam if you went to an ADA-accredited school. If the school you went to wasn't accredited, it could be that the school you went to or lack of certification could make it more difficult to get a position.

I'm not sure why you're asking about being fired, it sounds like the problem is getting to the interview stage. If you recently completed a program, you're certainly not rusty. You might call a dentist and see if you can interview him/her for information (not to get a job, just to get feedback); take a copy of your resume and ask the dentist if there's anything you can do to improve your chances of getting that initial job. Presumably you have a dentist since you're interested in this field? If so, that would be an excellent person to interview for information & get some feedback on your resume & how your education fares in the job market.

I see from some of your other postings that you have a tongue piercing. I'd suggest, lose all the studs and piercings except for tasteful earrings when you go for an interview (and if you get a position, don't wear them to work). Save the body jewelry for when you're off the job. Ask yourself: if you were a dentist, would you want to hire someone with a tongue or lip piercing?

Vasily

Nov 26, 2007, 04:06 PM
    I am just a super over-acheiver I guess. But, I used to have facial piercings. Haha, I currently do not though, I have grown out of that stage.

Nov 26, 2007, 04:09 PM
    Oh, also. I did receive my certification. Although I live in CA. You cannot take the state test unless you have worked for at least a year.

Nov 26, 2007, 04:12 PM
    I graduated on September 17th, so it has been awhile. I am worried that I may have forgotten some things. I am the type of person who has to keep on doing the same thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medical assisting [ 4 Answers ]

Is it difficult emotionally to be in medical assisting?

Dental work [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 28 year old single mother of two. I need a lot of dental work and I have no dental insurance and cannot afford to have this work done. Almost all of my teeth are broken down to the gum and they always hurt. I think what hurts most is that I cannot smile or laugh anymore. I hate talking face...

Carrer is medical assisting [ 2 Answers ]

What is the risk of being a medical assisting?not a nurse assisting but a medical assisting

Question about Medical Assisting [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I graduated from College in 1994 with an Associates Degree in science, my major, Medical Assisting. Since then I've been home with my kids. I went into a retraining program which included Cardiophlebotomy and a medical assisting techniques class. Now I'm waiting for an internship to...

View more questions Search