Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cheeree325 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Nov 26, 2007, 02:09 PM
    My muse.
    I used to do a drawing a day. I was really excelling in technique. But, over the past couple of years it is almost like my mind is blocked. I will usually start a drawing that I never finish. This happens rarely. I used to start a drawing and be so involved in it that I would not stop until it was done. It seems like it was my only form of emotional release. Are there any exercises for the mind that will bring my talent back?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2007, 10:37 PM
    Is there something now missing in your life that was formerly an inspiration for you to do drawing? Also, sometimes it is good and necessary to take a break for a little while from the art that we might do.

You might want to consider joining us on the following thread. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/art/ar...33294-131.html There is a tremendous amount going on there for all types of artists!

Just please drop in there, have a look around and do a post there to say "Hi!" and introduce yourself a little bit. We would love to have you join us! :)
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 12:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeree325
    I used to do a drawing a day. I was really excelling in technique. But, over the past couple of years it is almost like my mind is blocked. I will usually start a drawing that I never finish. This happens rarely. I used to start a drawing and be so involved in it that I would not stop until it was done. It seems like it was my only form of emotional release. Are there any exercises for the mind that will bring my talent back?
    Hi there! Just want to encourage you to visit the thread that Clough invited you to view. It really is inspiring. What type of drawing did you do? There are so many variables in this equation of motivation, inspiration, etc. One suggestion, simple but sometimes effective, is to change the medium in which you work. It is easy to get burned out in one medium. I am about there right now so I understand that!

I would be interested also as to where your inspiration was coming from when you were producting so many pieces of art. Our passions change and as they change, so does our outlook, direction, etc. If for example, you have been going through a particularly difficult time on a job, or having challenging classes in school, or if your immune system is down and you feel bad physically, then your passion to create would be affected. Sometimes, just pin pointing some areas of stress can be all we need to get a new direction. Many times, I have felt down, did not want to create any art, nor be around people, etc. but didn't know why. A friend would point out some areas of stress that I had not really consciously recognized. Once I saw it, I could then do something about it or at least realize that I had not really lost my zeal, it had just been repressed for a bit. As Clough and others could tell you, I get too philosophical at night so just glean from this anything that might help and toss the rest out of your mind! LOL Please do come visit us on the art thread Clough mentioned though. It has been inspiring to me!
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 01:07 AM
    I was hoping that you would see this thread, Jan! :)
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 01:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    I was hoping that you would see this thread, Jan! :)
    :) Thank you! Seems a few of us are just drawn to the same threads. Interesting journey!

Guess I will say goodnight. Good rest, sweet dreams, awakening with joy in your heart and energy in your step! :p
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 01:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrebel7
    :) Thank you! Seems a few of us are just drawn to the same threads. Interesting journey!

Guess I will say goodnight. Good rest, sweet dreams, awakening with joy in your heart and energy in your step! :p

Thank you! The feelings and sentiments are mutual, Jan! Goodnight to you, too! :p

Nov 28, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Thank you, I will definitely check it out. It seems I was doing the most art when I was in a fresh new relationship... You know... butterflies and such. After awhile those candy-colored glasses come off I guess. But, yesterday I went out and bought some new charcoal pencils and did my first charcoal drawing that turned out amazing! So, I am inspired to do more now! Thank you!
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 12:27 PM
    Thank you, I will definitely check it out. It seems I was doing the most art when I was in a fresh new relationship...You know...butterflies and such. After awhile those candy-colored glasses come off I guess. But, yesterday I went out and bought some new charcoal pencils and did my first charcoal drawing that turned out amazing! So, I am inspired to do more now! Thank you!
    Cheeree, that is great news! I think if you will view the thread Clough mentioned, you will find kindred spirits who are always ready to encourage you, not only in your art but also in life. The best instructor I ever had, taught not just art, but life each day. I hope you will post your work on that thread.

My art would show a journey of my life at times. Sometimes, light hearted and inspired by love, sometimes, dark and harsh, other times, carefree, depending on what I was going through. Art is such a great way of getting those emotions out there and when expressed through some creative medium, sometimes, we are able to get a release from the deep emotion of it all. Probably some of my best work was done when my passion was high either in a positive or negative way. My art now is more consistent because my emotions are more consistent. I enjoy the passions being high either way for creating but for living daily, enjoy the consistency. As artists we are all puzzles I think but what a journey!!

Anxiously awaiting your posts of your work!! :p
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 12:18 AM
    Thank you, I will definitely check it out. It seems I was doing the most art when I was in a fresh new relationship...You know...butterflies and such. After awhile those candy-colored glasses come off I guess. But, yesterday I went out and bought some new charcoal pencils and did my first charcoal drawing that turned out amazing! So, I am inspired to do more now! Thank you!
    Cool! We are looking forward to maybe seeing some of your work and also further dialogue with you! :)
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 12:22 AM
    Thank you, I will definitely check it out. It seems I was doing the most art when I was in a fresh new relationship...You know...butterflies and such.
    I definitely know what you mean about a fresh, new relationship bringing on much inspiration! When I have had times like that in my life, my music improvisation and creativity just soars! It is such a natural high! :p

Dec 1, 2007, 07:45 AM
    Yeah, it's great. I am more into abstract art, so when I met my fiancé I seriously could have carried around a sketch pad hahaha. Or doing group artwork. I sanded down a coffee table and my friend and I made it into a masterpiece with pastels. Actually, I would have a different friend come over everyday until the whole entire table was filled up with art. It was really neat.
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 08:23 AM
    That sounds great! So, do you have any pictures of the coffee table after it was decorated? :)

Dec 1, 2007, 05:27 PM
    In fact, I do. But, I don't have a scanner yet... no worries... soon enough then!
    catart Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 05:40 PM
    Try doing simple crossword puzzles, card games, or scrabble. These are all not electronic exercises and should provide help in removing the creative blocks you have described. Good luck!
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 11:41 PM
    In fact, I do. But, I don't have a scanner yet...no worries...soon enough then!
    We will look forward to that! :)

Dec 3, 2007, 07:45 AM
    All right! Thank you. I never thought of that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search