Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fox897 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2007, 09:32 AM
    Wood stove leak
    We just installed a wood stove. We are getting a couple of leaks from the rain. We have applied roof pitch and replaced roofing around flashing. Any ideas about how to fix the leaking problem.

Thanks,

Crystal
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 26, 2007, 12:56 PM
    All you can do is fix the roof correctly so it does not leak.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 26, 2007, 01:22 PM
    What is the chimney material and how did you flash it?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 26, 2007, 01:41 PM
    We have applied roof pitch and replaced roofing around flashing

I think this is what they used. They probably should have made a tin cap flash for the top of the chimney.

Nov 26, 2007, 01:49 PM
    I was wondering if he used a double walled steel chimney, they normally have a fire spacer and flashing cap that can be installed. Can't put roof pitch on a plain steel chimney.
    fox897 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 09:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    I was wondering if he used a double walled steel chimney, they normally have a fire spacer and flashing cap that can be installed. Can't put roof pitch on a plain steel chimney.
    We did use the double wall chimney. We have a cap on it. I believe it is leaking around the roof. If can not use pitch, what can we use? We are planning on replacing the roof next Spring, but need to do something to get through the winter. Just in 2 days of rain, it is starting to ruin the ceiling tiles.

Thanks

Nov 28, 2007, 05:47 PM
    The double wall chimney has a flashing kit that should be slid over the chimney before the cap is installed, The flashing edges go under the roofing shingles. As you have found out you can't just use pitch to bridge the gap between the chimney and the roof.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Supliment wood stove [ 3 Answers ]

I have a split fourer 60x30 half the downstairs is a living area with a wood stove to help heat in the winter. The wood stove is on the outside end wall of the house. I have vents up in the ceiling downstairs in each corner of the living area. My problem is the heat from the stove does not reach to...

Wood stove is smokey [ 5 Answers ]

O.K. now is the time of year I need to take care of this. We moved into our house in Dec. of 2005, and for the past two winter I've had trouble with a downdraft in the small wood stove in the basement. Typically here is what happens after I got the paper and wood set up for a fire. I'll take a...

Laminate flooring around a wood stove [ 2 Answers ]

We are installing laminate flooring in our home and are concerned about how to around a wood stove?? If someone knows please answer thank you:

View more questions Search