Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    etharms Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2007, 09:09 PM
    91 Honda civic 1.6 engine troubles
    Today on my way home from my girlfriends house I heard a bang I immediately turned the car off and pulled over and popped the hood. On my No.2 cylinder plug the spark plug had popped out. So I tightened it down and reset the spark plug end into its little hole. The whole ride home my felt like it had no power at all it would maintain speeds but had a total lack of acceleration and was making a different exhaust sound that it was. I'm fairly certain that the rod was not thrown and I have a feeling its just not firing on that cylinder any thoughts anyone?
    Duane in Japan Posts: 282, Reputation: 8

Nov 26, 2007, 11:39 AM
    The first simple test is to move that spark plug to a different hole and see if the problem follows the plug, do you know how to pull a plug wire while the engine is idling and then see if the idle goes down more, this is a power balance test, if the idle stays the same when youpull the plug wire then that cylinder is not working, could be several issues. Do the test before you move the plug to get a baseline test. Let us know what you get.
    etharms Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2007, 12:48 PM
    I did the power balance test you said and found that my 2nd cylinder from the driver's side was not working I checked the spark plug and checked all my connections and actually got it to go again. The only problem is that the car will lose power when accelerating quickly. It is normal under normal acceleration but when I get on it it cuts out
    Farmerjohn692000 Posts: 63, Reputation: 8

Nov 26, 2007, 12:54 PM
    Sounds like the spark plug was not all the way in. and the pop you heard was compression blowing the plug from the hole. What you need to do is go buy another spark plug and put it in making sure it is good and tight. Check the plug wire for damage. And if you know how to check for spark before puttin the plug in that may be smart. If your not getting any spark that me be the lack of power problem
    Duane in Japan Posts: 282, Reputation: 8

Nov 26, 2007, 07:04 PM
    Losing power when you get on it hard is typical for a leaking spark, spark is finding an alternate route OR the cylinders are going lean, meaning not getting enough gas. I would do a complete tune up for starters including plug wires. It is quite popular for the spark to jump out the side of the plug wire down inside the spark plug well. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter and air filter.

Now it still may be possible that you have a weak fuel pump or dirty fuel injectors but a dead head test may clear that issue up, more later on that if the tune up does not help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

88 Honda Civic - Engine stopping. [ 2 Answers ]

So far this is an intermitent problem. It's scary as heck though. I will be driving down the freeway and them, BOOM, the engine cuts out. Electricity is still running. The car shifts, and it seems that everything is fine save that the car isn't running. I try starting it, it turns over, runs for a...

92 Honda Civic LX engine problem. [ 2 Answers ]

Someon please answer this question. I just got to work and my "check engine", "battery" and "coolent" lights came on and my car just stopped and wouldn't go any further. What is going on?? I just had an oil change 3 days ago and filled my car with gas 20 min. before this happened. HELP! I'm stuck...

95 Honda civic engine noise [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everybody My 95 Honda Civic engine used to some noise when started during the winter which goes like " kat kat kat ...". When the engine warmed up this would go away. But now I get the sound even on a warm day and even after I have driven miles. What could be the problem and how can I solve it...

Honda civic engine will not turn [ 5 Answers ]

My '88 Honda civic was running when I pulled the 15 amp ecu fuse. This immediately stopped the engine. I believe I returned the fuse with the ignition key still turned. I have since been unable to start the engine-all I get is a click from the fuse box area just under the driver side dash. I have...

92 Honda Civic - engine overheats [ 2 Answers ]

3 weeks ago I changed the radiator and everything seems to be fine, 1 week ago I had to change the distributor. The problem comes right after the distributor was changed. After 5 minutes of running the engine feels warmer ( lets say it is like is overheating), and it looses power. On the express...

View more questions Search