Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whitemateria Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2007, 08:42 PM
    Research on Greek Mythology
    Hi everyone,

I have to write a 2000-2500 word research paper in one of my classes and I was wondering if Greek Mythology would be a good topic. I'm really interested in this subject but after awhile, I was thinking that maybe it was too broad. I want to narrow it down but I'm not sure to what. I'll just choose something else to write about if it can't be done. That's why I want to know what other people think about this subject.

Thanks. :)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2007, 08:44 PM
    What class is this for?

Nov 25, 2007, 08:48 PM
    It's for an online class called Utilizing Information in College Writing/COM 125. My instructor told us to, "Choose an appropriate topic for a research-based project." That's all he gave us to go by I'm afraid. :/
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2007, 08:51 PM
    So, it seems to me that what you need to write about would be a subject that has to do where someone would need to do research in order to to the project. Like say, maybe a police officer, forensic technician, scientist, newpaper reporter, etc. Catch my drift here? Is this correct?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 25, 2007, 09:00 PM
    What about relating (comparing and contrasting) a story in Greek mythology to something occurring now? You'd have to research the Greek myth/story and figure out the characters and their actions and how their actions affected each other and the country. You would also have to research the present-day story or event.

P.S. It might even be fun to put together a list of Greek gods and goddesses and mortals and discuss each one, and then compare and contrast each to a modern-day famous person. In fact, the more I think about this, the more I wish I were still in school and could write it myself! Tantalus and Sisyphus and Atlas and Midas and Procrustes. Woo woo! And you'd have to research each modern figure in order to match it up with a Greek character.

Here's a fun site to get you started --

Greek Mythology
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2007, 09:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    So, it seems to me that what you need to write about would be a subject that has to do where someone would need to do research in order to to the project. Like say, maybe a police officer, forensic technician, scientist, newpaper reporter, etc. Catch my drift here? Is this correct?
    Still waiting for an answer to this. Is this not one way that you might interpret what the assignment is, Wondergirl?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 25, 2007, 09:13 PM
    So, it seems to me that what you need to write about would be a subject that has to do where someone would need to do reasearch in order to to the project. Like say, maybe a police officer, forensic technician, scientist, newpaper reporter, etc. Catch my drift here? Is this correct?
    That could work for a career research project. But as I stated just above your most recent post, there are ways he/she can do research in Greek mythology and even bring it into 2007.

Nov 25, 2007, 09:18 PM
    So, it seems to me that what you need to write about would be a subject that has to do where someone would need to do reasearch in order to to the project. Like say, maybe a police officer, forensic technician, scientist, newpaper reporter, etc. Catch my drift here? Is this correct?
    You are probably right, Clough. I may have to change my topic but I would rather do that then complete a project that was off the subject. Thank you for responding. :)

Also thank you Wondergirl for responding. I took a look at that site you posted and it was very interesting. I actually put it in my favorites. ^^
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2007, 09:21 PM
    When is the paper due?

Nov 25, 2007, 09:26 PM
    Nine weeks from now. I start the first day of class tomorrow, (I already have the syllabus)I was checking ahead as to what was going to be our final project. I wanted to get a head start on it.
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2007, 09:33 PM
    Thank you for letting us know that. So, tomorrow, you could ask the teacher for clarification as far as what the "research-based project" is. Correct?

Nov 25, 2007, 09:40 PM
    Yes, I will be doing that but I like to hear/read other people's opinions. :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 25, 2007, 09:45 PM
    Also find out what resources you will be allowed to use, such as Internet, magazines, journals, books, pamphlets, personal interviews, etc.
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2007, 09:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    What about relating (comparing and contrasting) a story in Greek mythology to something occurring now? You'd have to research the Greek myth/story and figure out the characters and their actions and how their actions affected each other and the country. You would also have to research the present-day story or event.

P.S. It might even be fun to put together a list of Greek gods and goddesses and mortals and discuss each one, and then compare and contrast each to a modern-day famous person. In fact, the more I think about this, the more I wish I were still in school and could write it myself!! Tantalus and Sisyphus and Atlas and Midas and Procrustes. Woo woo!! And you'd have to research each modern figure in order to match it up with a Greek character.

Here's a fun site to get you started --

Greek Mythology
    If you are still able to do the paper on something in Greek Mythology, what do you think of Wondergirl's ideas above?

Nov 25, 2007, 09:55 PM
    Wondergirl, I think that I can use all of those resources because in my last class, I had to write a persusive essay and this is the same instructor. I'll still ask him, though.

As for Wondergirl's ideas, I may have to look into those. Those are excellent ideas and I wish I had thought of it. u.u But that is why I came on this site in the first place. :)

Also, I really appreciate everything. You guys were a big help. :) I highly recommend! ^^

Nov 26, 2007, 07:09 PM
    I know this is a double post but my instructor said the idea sounded good, however, I will need to narrow it down quite a bit because there will be a lot of research that will need to be done.

Any more suggestions would be very helpful. :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 26, 2007, 10:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by whitemateria
    I will need to narrow it down quite a bit because there will be a lot of research that will need to be done.
    How did you describe it to him?

I was thinking of x number of famous figures like Oprah (Athena?) or Britany Spears (a Siren? A Harpy?) or President Bush (Tantalus? Sisyphus?). You'd have to research each Greek figure and each modern-day one, and find commonalities and differences (one was successful at a task and one was not). Seems like there would be a ton of research. The page limit you were given is not much, maybe ten pages? Do you have to do a bibliography and notes too?

Or compare Greek conflicts and wars with modern-day ones and generals/soldiers for both, doing similar research.

Nov 27, 2007, 02:35 PM
    After I read what I wrote, I don't think I wrote it right. I actually told him what you explained to me in an earlier post. By relating (comparing and contrasting) a story or stories in Greek mythology to something occurring now. But now that you put it that way where you compare and contrast the Greek Gods to people of our time, it makes more sense.

His words were that he wants us to research topics that are less daunting. He told me that I needed to narrow it down because it will be quite a bit of research. My instructor just wants us to get a feel for researching a topic, I think. He doesn't want us to have to do a lot of research.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 27, 2007, 09:30 PM
    I think it would be fun to look at some of the Greek figures in mythology and think, hmmmmmmm, who does that remind me of today?? Like Sisyphus continually pushing the boulder up the hill, President Bush is continually pushing his belief on us that the Iraqi war is a good thing for that country--and for our country too. Or Tantalus and President Bush -- always reaching out for what he can't grasp.

There would have to be some research, but not extensive work. I could spend two or three pages on Sisyphus and Pres. Bush. Two more pairs like that would give you the rest of the paper.

Nov 27, 2007, 10:07 PM
    I really, really like the idea that you have suggested. It would definitely be fun to compare Greek gods to famous people of our era. I have written to my instructor and he has yet to respond but I hope he says that I can continue with it.

I guess if I were to write a hypothesis, it would be that I believe that Greek mythology still exists in today's world with our very own famous, god-like(may be too extreme) figures.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to obtain dual Greek/USA citizenship; having trouble with Greek Consulates [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to find help in obtaining Greek citizenship through my father, who was born in Greece, still has his Greek passport, but is now a naturalized U.S. citizen. The main problem I am having is finding a consulate that will even talk to me/help me. The one consulate that has been helpful is...

Greek mythology god Hades [ 1 Answers ]

I am in fifth grade and have to a report and activity to the class about Hades. I need ideas about activities to do with the class for Hades. Thanks.

Anime (Greek Mythology) Movie? [ 3 Answers ]

When I was a kid (80s) I seem to remember an anime movie at a video rental shop that was centered around a kid or character with wings on his feet (much like Greek Mythology character Hermes) and it seems that he ran into a myriad of Greek Mythological characters - Medusa, etc... as he traveled...

Getting a greek passport [ 2 Answers ]

I am from south africa. but my father is greek. I want to get a greek passport, how mdo I do that? :confused:

Greek mythology and star constellations [ 1 Answers ]

When I was a child at school, my favourite teacher mrs wright used to read stories from a book. They were greek mythology about how star constellations came to be in the sky. I don't know who the author was or what the book was called. I've been searching in shops for twenty years!! Help!

View more questions Search