Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eleroux Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Remove an interior wall, install arch
    I am looking at removing an interior wall between my kitchen and living room and installing an archway in its place. It is not a load bearing wall. Is this difficult to do? How would I go about starting?
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Nov 27, 2007, 06:39 PM
    its not very difficult but not easier either, first you'll need a miter saw to cut the 2x4s , you'll also need a jigsaw to cut the arch out of the plywood, either hammer and nails , or screws and a drill.
    1 1/4 sheetrock screws to attach the sheetrock
    framing nails 12d will be fine
    liquid nails to attach the arch to the ceiling along with nailing into the joist where possible

you also need sheetrock supplies as far as knives, mud pan, tape, screws, flexible corner bead

first thing to do is find out how long the arch is, once you done this take a piece of plywood, osb, whatever you want, and 1/2 thickness is fine,
    once you find the length, find the center and make a center line up say 1ft or so, now decide how much of an arch you want, the one in my house I built was an 8", you can do the same or 6", if you go less, its just not much of an arch and if you do more you most likley need to make the plywood arch wider so you have enough left at the top of the arch, on mine I have roughly 8" left from the ceiling down to the highest part of the arch

so what you can try to do is rip a piece of plywood 16" find the center, measure up 6 or 8"
    now you need to rip you something you can bend to draw your arch out on the plywood.
    it want be a true arch so you want be able to a dowel rod and pencil method. what id try is take some 1/4 ply and rip and 1" or 1 1/2" rip and use this to bend and make your mark

the way to do this is to drive a nail into the center of arch at the 6" or 8" mark, now on both ends just drive another nail on each side to hold the plywood where you want it. trace this out and cut with a jig saw. now make another just like it.

once both are cut out you need to measure the wall in the house to match the thickness
    keep in mind the plywood arch is a total of 1" the dry wall is also 1" subtract this off your exising wall and this is what you need to cut the 2x4s in between the plywood arches
    as far as how many to cut, the more the better. on the bottom side of the arch place the blocks about 2" apart, you need a lot to screw the sheetrock to once you attach the sheetrock to the underside of the arch.

once the arch is built slide it into place and attach with screws or nails, 3" screws work best in case you have to take it back down. As far as attaching it to the ceiling try and hit the ceiling joist, if the joist are going in the same direction there may not be any to nail to. So what I've done is use liquid nails to help with this. You can still attach the arh on each end, which is fine.

after its up apply the sheerock and the tape and mud. Sand , paint

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free spanning a load bearing interior wall [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know what size of lumber to use to free span acrss 16'6". It is an interior wall inside a new shop for a loft

Removing an interior wall [ 3 Answers ]

I am Renovating my kitchen and am removing the wall between the kitchen and dining room. The roof is constructed with W trusses that span the entire house. The wall rests beneath the middle of the trusses, but only halfway along from an exterior wall. After searching on-line for a while I have...

Interior arch project [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to construct an arched entry into my dining area. Currently, there is a 70” wide x 4.5” deep x 8’ high opening between two walls; ceiling is 8’ high. I think it needs a 1’ head wall at the top of the arch. Any suggestions on how to construct a frame, arch, and cover it with drywall...

Interior Wall&Ceiling Paint ? - suggestions needed for repairs! [ 5 Answers ]

We recently had to do some remodeling in my living room to accommodate an electrical switch, overhead light, and 2 wall sconses. This included a contractor making several holes in my ceiling and walls and repairing the holes with drywall. The drywall looks great, however when he came back to...

Creating arch openings in wall [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, so I think I've watched ONE too many episodes of 'Flip That House'. I loved an idea I saw and want to do something similar in the house I just bought. I want to take the wall (not load-bearing) between the dining area and kitchen and open up two large (wider than door-size) openings with...

View more questions Search