Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stucki6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Dec 1, 2005, 11:03 PM
    Father fighting for custody wants to know what to expect and how to prepare for court
    I have served my child's mother with a custody hearing, and I myself have taken some measures to provide for the case such as tape recordings of her and the threats she made while she was pregnant about killing her self, taking a bottle of pills, then there are some stating that "This is my baby, get it mine!! also by my request after she had the baby I asked that they do a drug test, not knowing that they already had, well it came back positive, then temporary custody was given to her sister while she took parenting classes, then when she got the baby back she claimed that she didn't have to let me see the baby that she was doing it to be nice,the story goes on but I paid for a paternity test to prove I am the father and I paid filing fee for the custody I pay child support even without seeing the baby as much as I want she won't let me take the baby by myself, all I want is the baby to be safe and in a stable home. I am drug free, I am responsible and I want very much to be the best father to my daughter can anyone give me some insight as to what I might be facing in court would be much appreciated. :o
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Dec 1, 2005, 11:51 PM
    It's good to see that your concern for your child's well being. Some men will walk away from their parenting responsibility, but it seems that you love your daughter and your willing to fight for her. What you should do is hire an attorney. Your going to need legal help if she isn't allowing you to see your child. Your paying child support, therefore, you have the right to file for visitation rights. People who pay child support are granted visitation to see their kids. If you have proof that the mother is unfit or incompetent, then the judge should grant you custody of your baby. Good luck.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2005, 04:31 AM
    Custody
    Hi,
    Getting custody for a father, in most states, has about as much success as sailing a 10 ft sailboat in a hurricane... very slim chance; unless there is complete devastating evidence against the mother.
    You do have a chance though, but not much by yourself. Get a lawyer.
    A lawyer, experienced in custody cases, can tell you if you have a chance, how much the cost, and can handle it for you.
    I am not a Professional, but simply speaking from a few experiences with the court. If you do not have a lawyer you will be expected to know all the laws and court rules which apply to your case as if you were a lawyer. If she has a lawyer, you won't have a chance.
    I do wish you the best of luck.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 2, 2005, 05:19 AM
    Sillygoose
    Fredg is right it is unfortuantly true that its harder for men to get custody. I hope and pray that the judge isn't an idiot and realizes that he's putting the child in danger if he lets the mother have it. Get all the evidence you can together. Your in for a rough ride. My father went through the same thing and if he hadn't fought for us my brother and I would probably be dead now. I wish you good luck and prayers that you get your child.
    serialwife Posts: 117, Reputation: 16

Dec 2, 2005, 03:53 PM
    Custody hearings are tricky! It is really hard to establish a mother is unfit. It's good that you have records that the baby tested positive for drugs. Did social services place the child with her sister? If so did you not go to the temporary removal hearing? A father has more rights to a child than grandparents or an aunt. If social services is involved volunteer to submit to a custody/home study. In the mean time your attorney needs to file a motion for visitation. A judge will be hesitant to give you your daughter if you have no bond.
    stucki6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Dec 3, 2005, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stucki6
    I have served my childs mother with a custody hearing, and I myself have taken some measures to provide for the case such as tape recordings of her and the threats she made while she was pregnant about killing her self, taking a bottle of pills, then there are some stating that "This is my baby, get it mine!!, also by my request after she had the baby I asked that they do a drug test, not knowing that they already had, well it came back positive, then temporary custody was given to her sister while she took parenting classes, then when she got the baby back she claimed that she didn't have to let me see the baby that she was doing it to be nice,the story goes on but I payed for a paternity test to prove I am the father and I payed filing fee for the custody I pay child support even without seeing the baby as much as I want she won't let me take the baby by myself, all I want is the baby to be safe and in a stable home. I am drug free, I am responsible and I want very much to be the best father to my daughter can anyone give me some insight as to what I might be facing in court would be much appreciated. :o
    The one thing you can keep and still give up... is your "WORD". :)
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Dec 4, 2005, 06:08 PM
    Stucki6, don't give up on your daughter
    Stucki6, the judicial system favors the mother in most custody cases. However, there are men who have been granted custody of their kids, so don't give up. I strongly recommend you obtain the services of a attorney experienced in custody cases to advise you of your options and the best way to proceed with your case. The attorney must convince the judge that custody be given to you based on the child's best interest. Since your financially taking care of your child and you've showed that you're a responsible father, there's a chance that you will get joint custody. If the judge does award you joint custody of your daughter, (take it). You will at least have a chance to be in your daughter's life and watch her grow up. I wish you all the best.
    momistheword Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 11:18 AM
    If you are that responsible,why did you produce a child with someone like that then??
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2010, 12:28 PM

This is a thread from 2005 -

Another one time wonder. Came on, posted this, disappeared. Have to wonder who "these people" are.
    Jenniferray Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2010, 03:54 AM
    Why would you lay down with a person like that.You hooked up with a drug addicted person why should we trust you?I do not wish you luck I think ss should take the kid and keep it its not a bean bag toy
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Sep 29, 2010, 04:14 AM
    The original poster has not returned since 2005.
    stevanator Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2011, 01:57 AM
    How do I go for custody for my child if my ex adopted he to the grandparents
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2011, 08:59 AM

Was the adoption done without your signature/approval? Are you the recognized father?
    ezvan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2011, 09:31 PM
    I don't know what to say I have been to court two times for my son and lost!! What really gets me is the 2nd time she didn't have a lawyer? You know, it would one thing if I didn't have a leg to stand on. How is it that the mother of my child can have seven contempt of court and walk out with are son. If it where me I would still be in jail, and its been a year! Everywhere I turn no one can help, why/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Should I prepare? [ 1 Answers ]

I need a gifted psychic to help me. My relationship is changing. I am in fear that he is not the same person I thought he was. Is he being honest with me? And if not what is he hiding? My birthday is 6-18-82 his is 5-5-79. If you need more info please message me.

Too much to expect a thank you note? [ 11 Answers ]

Twice in one year I have mailed a money order for $50.00 together with a wedding card and a personal note. One wedding was a year ago; the other was back in May. At the first wedding, the groom came up to me and said thanks for the money; the second wedding I didn't attend. Hmmm, maybe in...

Father wanting custody [ 3 Answers ]

Wife left marital home with 2 year old daughter to live with her parents.She has apparently gone back to her beliefs in the JW.I do not want my daughter to be raised in that environment.Could use some advice.

I am having a problem with my sons father we went to court feb 14, 2005 and he got v [ 7 Answers ]

I am having a problem with my sons father we went to court feb 14, 2005 and he got vistitation threw the visitation center never went there and denied there services now almost a year later not see his child or not paying child support after being ordered 75.00 per week. I get a letter telling...

Should I expect him to move for me? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 22 years of age and have been dating my current boyfriend who is 25 years of age for just over a year and a half. Last night we had a discussion about what would happen if I got a job offer in another city. He works in a grocery store that his parents own right now and I have already moved...

View more questions Search