Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JDKR Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2007, 08:54 AM
    Researching pre-foreclosures & tax lien foreclosures sales
    How do I research a pre-foreclosure, notice of defaults or tax lien foreclosures at the county courthouse? And how do I know if there is going to be a tax lien foreclosure sale on a certain property? I went to the courthouse to do research, and they sent me to the register of deeds to do my research, but there, I needed the name and addresses - where I just wanted to get a list of recently filed nods, pre-foreclosures, and tax liens about to go to sale... advice please?:confused: :eek:
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2007, 09:04 AM
    Here is about the best site I could find that may be helpful

Pre-Foreclosures | Locate preforeclosures, auctions, trustee sales, NODs
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Nov 25, 2007, 09:31 AM
    I believe that there are web sites that offer lists of foreclosures. The usefulness of these lists I would question because the information is probably stale and has been picked over by others. Back in the early 80s I chased preforeclosures looking for good values. I would go to the County Recorder's Office and scan through several thousand recorded documents each day seeking Notices Of Trustee Sale on microfilm. Since these Notices contained the name of the trustor, legal description, and the amount of the encumberance, further research was needed to get the address (can be done on line now). Many of these defaulted borrowers had unlisted phone numbers, had abandoned the property, or the property was over-encumbered. Mail solicitations had a very small response. Direct contact entailed much driving, and many unopened front doors. Many owners had unrealistic expectations and refused to negotiate.

The bottom line is that this path to riches involves much hard work and frustration (in my humble opinion). If anyone else knows a quick and easy way to accomplish this task, I hope that they will share it with us.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 25, 2007, 12:25 PM
    To the court house, research daily filings of law suits. ( there are para legal groups that do this all the time) and supply these lists to legal firms. That is why people filing bankruptcy, or foreclosures will get a dozen or so letters from attorneys before the court action is ever served to the person.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buying government tax sale foreclosures [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I will be going to attent auction fir buying government tax sale foreclosures. However I have some questions: 1. If the previous owner still have mortgage left or equity loan on it, who would be responsible for it? 2. If the previous owner still live there, how do I get them out of there?...

Foreclosures and 1099-c [ 1 Answers ]

How hard does IRS comes down on collecting the taxes on 1099-c after a foreclosures? Do they give you any breakes?

The affects of foreclosures [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancé has a property that is going into foreclosure. This property is in his name only. We are getting married in a couple of months. We also have another property together. How does this affect me or the property that we own together?

Purchasing Foreclosures [ 2 Answers ]

Looking to buy foreclosures with 30k. Need to know where I can get a list of auctions or individual forclosures besides purchasing a web site membership. Also can I finance or do I need to have the entire amount up front?

View more questions Search