Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    minafets Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2007, 10:52 PM
    Nighttime Still Shots
    I have a Nikon D40 with a 18-55mm lens and I have tried changing my settings so that I am able to take a nighttime photo but the camera won't even take a picture period and I was wondering if it was because the object is further then 55mm and I need to get a stronger lens or if there is a specific lens for nighttime shots. Although I have been able to take photos about the same distance as the one I want to take during the day. Would greatly appreciate any help or recommendations on a type of lens to get.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2007, 01:17 AM
    Is the picture coming out black? It could be the flash, you may want to investigate getting a scoop flash, they are much stronger.
    roadstar1 Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Nov 30, 2007, 02:45 PM
    It really doesn't have much to do with the lens (if the subject is viewable in the lens), it's about the light. The in-camera flash has a limited exposure distance. A stronger flash would help, but you don't mention what kind of night shots you are taking. Fireworks take a longer exposure time, but without a flash, for a reasonable picture.
    ranger59 Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Dec 3, 2007, 08:44 AM
    Try a longer shutter speed and place camera on a tripod when you take the shot. Using the self timer can help also.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2007, 06:33 PM
    I use 800 or 1000 speed film instead of the 200 or 400 near available light and N0 flash.
    Also go with the longer exposure time.
    lschoeggl Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Dec 12, 2007, 02:33 PM
    If you aren't able to get the camera to take a photo at all, it's probably because the camera is not able to find a focus point. This happens easily in low light situations. Does the camera have a focus assist light? Usually this is a red lamp that lights briefly before the shutter fires. Make sure this lamp is enabled. Also, turn your ISO up to 800, 1600 or even 3200 (just be ready for a grainy shot). If you are still having trouble, you may need to try focusing manually.

Although Roadstar1 is right about the flash, the lens actually does make a very big difference in your success with low light shots. What is the f# of your lens? Usually you can find this by looking on the very front of the lens. After saying 18-55mm it will say something like 1:4. If that's what it says, your maximum f-stop is 4.0.

For nighttime shots, you will struggle with lenses that have maximum apertures of 4.0, for example. Lenses that go down to a 2.8 f-stop (or lower) will be much better in low light situations. Just a quick primer: the f-stop relates to the size of the aperture (shutter opening) when you take a shot. The smaller the number, the larger the aperture, which allows more light to pass through to the camera sensor. An f-stop of 22 lets in dramatically less light than an f-stop of 2.8. Lenses that have lower numbered apertures are considered "faster" lenses and optimal for low light conditions. That being said, they are also far more expensive.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Name of 80's nighttime TV serial [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to find the name of a Twilight Zone/Tales from the Darkside-type show that aired in the mid- to late-80s. I only remember the intro and that each episode was a different spooky or suspenseful story. The intro consisted of a nighttime outdoor scene in which bubbles of light danced...

Deprovera shots [ 3 Answers ]

I have taken the depro shot once. I was suppose to have my next shot in march.I have not had a menstral what is wrong

Rabies shots [ 3 Answers ]

Is it OK to get a dog that might be pregenet a rabies shot

Transition out of nighttime crate [ 2 Answers ]

We would love to transition Duncan out of his nighttime crate and onto a dog bed. Around what age does that usually happen (he's 4 1/2 months). Any tips on the transition?

Distemper Shots [ 9 Answers ]

I am a new puppy owner & going through the series of shots needed. My pekingese has gotten 1 distemper shot & her rabies shot (on separate days); however, after her distemper she was crazy. It appeared as if she forgot her name & she barly walked around. She was rolling everywhere and flipping...

View more questions Search