Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barryaf Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Changing 2 phones lines into 1
    I currently have 2 separate phone lines. I for phone service, and 1 is dedicated for dial-up internet. I am going to switch to DSL through my local telephone service provider. How can I make the 2 separate phones into 1? In other words, how can I have the same phone number on both lines? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2007, 06:31 PM
    Sure, Line 1 is 2 wires and line 2 is another 2 that can be disconnected and connected to line 1. This can be done outside or wher phone line goes to. You will need to use filters throughout the house. If you only had 4 conductor phone wiring and rewired jacks instead, you could have a whole house filter that will have DSL go into house on one pair, eliminating the need for filters through the house.
    Doesn't hurt to remove and look at phone jacks, note what color is connected to red and green(that is line 1)
    What ever color was line 2 locations will have line 2 colors connect to red and green, they need to connect to line 1 color wires connected to their red and green, Good Luck
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2007, 06:59 PM
    It depends on how things were wired. If Line 1 and Line 2 are available on the same jack, the suggestions would be different if line 1 and line 2 are on two different jacks and line 1 would use a standard phone and line 2 would use a standard phone.

The suggestions also depend on where the DSL modem will go. For instance if your dial-up internet is the same place that DSL is going, then the filter in the NID is the easiest.

If your planning wireless, the wireless router should be in the center of the house.

Their can be only 5 filters in the house and a splitter outside makes a faster connection especially if the wiring is the old red black green yellow variety. Devices in the same room can share a filter/splitter as well.

ONLY the DSL modem does not get a filter. If you use a filer/splitter in the NID, then the DSL and Phone lines become separate. You could in this case wire line 1 to the phone system and line 2 to the telephone system in the same jack and use a (L1, L2 and L1+L2) 3-way connector to separate the lines. If there are two jacks, then one could be DSL and the other the telephone.

As you can see, it can be complex or simple.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing from copper to plastic water lines [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I am trying to move the water supply lines for the bathroom so that I can begin framing a bathroom in the basement. The water lines are going right across the bottom of the floor joists where I need to put up the headers for the walls so I need to move them. My brother in law was...

Tangent lines & secant lines [ 3 Answers ]

Show that the tangent line to the curve y = x^3 at the point x=a also hits the curve at the point x = -2a. Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right path? I set the function and the slope of a line secant to the functions through the points (a, f(a)) and (-2a, f(-2a)) equal to each other and...

Cell phones [ 3 Answers ]

Do you know of any cheap plan that has unlimited texting. :)

Cell phones [ 2 Answers ]

How do I know that a cell phone is unlocked? I purchased one that was supposedly unlocked but I cannot connect to my active service provider.

View more questions Search